1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does Fender make a lightweight P besides the Aero?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by skaelin, Aug 13, 2007.

1. skaelin

skaelin

May 24, 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Other than the Aerodyne (or a Squire), does fender make a lightweight P-bass currently? Something around 8 or 9 pounds (or less)?

2. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    All of the FSR Precisions I've played have been extremely light - a side benefit of being made of a few pieces of light ash. A good setup and perhaps an aftermarket pickup and you've got yourself a Quality Bass. :D

3. skaelin

skaelin

May 24, 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Thanks, I want something that's higher end though. I have a '90 MIM P bass and it weighs a ton. The other factor is that I have a $500 credit at my local fender dealer and that's pretty much the only thing they carry so it's got to be a fender.

I will go to the store and try some out of course but I just want some preliminary info.

4. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    The 50's MIM Deluxe, which is essentially a 57 RI, is between 7 and 8 lbs. You may want to try one and see if it suites you.

5. skaelin

skaelin

May 24, 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA
    bump

6. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I knew a guy with a P-Lyte. Not sure if they make them anymore.

7. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Thats the first one that came to my mind. They are super ugly IMO but everyone i knew that played one played it cuz it was ultra light.

8. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Why something other than the Aerodyne? All the Aeros I have played have sounded great and had very resonant bodies, in addition to being super light. I don't know if you're going to get an alder or ash P-bass that weighs the same as, or less than, an Aero P.

9. There are tons of P-Lytes on the Bay...you should consider them.

10. Perhaps you could buy an FSR and an upgraded pickup from the local dealer--that should about use up your credit--and then spend the extra money you would have to drop on a higher-end bass (probably a few hundred dollars) on a nice replacement neck. Have a professional install it and you'll end up with what is essentially a high end, light, ash-bodied p bass.

edit: also buy a Black/White/Black pickguard for it. That would look excellent. :)

11. I had a stock early 90's P-Lyte. Whilst it played great, and was certainly light it lacked bottom end so I sold it after a few months.

I currently have a 1983 Squier JV series Precision with EMG's which weighs 7-8lbs. I'm pretty sure it's a basswood body. It plays great and is nice and light with good bottom end.

Maybe an FSR plus a pickup change is the way to go?

12. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I've played several of the FSR models at Guitar Center, and they are pretty nice. You could also go for an American Series, which are usually right around nine pounds. (My Am. Ser. P and J are around that.) I think the sunburst samples tend to get slightly better woods, and based on my limited experience tend to be lighter on average. I almost bought one because of that.

The American Vintage '57 and '62 reissues I've tried have been light, but I haven't tried enough of them to think that's generally true.

Another option is the active American Deluxe in natural finish ash. I had one, and it was less than eight pounds. The slightly downsized body contributes to the light weight. I didn't like the active tone much, but it could be upgraded fairly easily with a different pre and/or pickups.

13. The Urge and Urge Standard were shorter scale basses and featured different electronics, but were lighter basses. My Urge is one of the lightest I have ever played.

14. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    You could always look for a used Zone or Dimension bass. They are light, come in 4 & 5 string models and sound pretty good. I would love to have my old Zone back.

15. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I'm not sure what the exact reason is for it, but every Highway 1 Precision that I've played has been exceptionally light. Mine probably doesn't weigh more than 8-9 pounds.

16. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I just finished installing a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound in my new FSR P, and it sounds terrific, even with LaBella nylon tape wounds (when I change to a fretless neck it will get a set of TI Jazz Flats). It's no heavier than my '50s P, even though ash is often heavier than alder.

Natural ash with a tortoise shell pickguard (came with, even though it is shown with the typical MIM Standard white), lightweight and good looking.

The '50s P is also a good choice, and I prefer its maple fingerboard and chunkier neck, and I'm sorta getting used to the fiesta red. It also has the QP and TI flats.

17. Nashguitars are famously light, and he's stepping up bass production. My antiqua jazz bass is under 8 lbs.