1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does Fender use different pots in different basses

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Thom Fioriglio, Oct 14, 2020.

1. I was curious if anyone knows if the pots in Fender’s bass lineup differ by bass. I have a 2018 MIM Player Precision. Are those the same pots used in the American Professional or some of the other higher grade P Basses? I was thinking of swapping out my pots for these Golden Age Pre-wired Harness from Stew Mac. Is it worth the upgrade? Golden Age Pre-wired Harness for P-Bass | stewmac.com Thanks for any info you can share.

Thom

2. dwizum

dwizum Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2018
    If your current pots are in good shape and are the same specs (resistance and taper) there is no "upgrade" really possible.

Let me edit to add - what would you hope to gain by changing them?

3. I had tried out some different pickups and the soldering has become sloppy and not too good. Just thought I might try and clean up the insides.

4. dwizum

dwizum Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Yeah, for cleaning up sloppy soldering or wiring, a prewired harness can be an easy solution. As long as you're getting correct value parts, put together correctly, and not ultra cheap generic junk, there's really not going to be much difference or "upgrade" between brands/vendors. Stewmac's stuff is fine, but you can probably spend less (or more!) for the same end result if you shop around.

Thom Fioriglio likes this.
  5. Thanks. From what I could find out on the internet I know it won’t make much, if any difference at all in terms of tone. My OCD is just kicking in knowing it’s a mess in there and I feel a need to tinker.

dwizum likes this.
  6. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Why not get some de-solder wick and clean it up?

dwizum likes this.
  7. Hmm. I don’t know what that is. I will have to look that up.

8. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Or a solder bulb to suck it up. Just make sure as you re-heat the joint you don't melt or scorch anything and don't let any solder flow into the pot.

9. dwizum

dwizum Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Solder wick is flat braided plain copper mesh that's treated with flux.

solderwick.jpg

It's used to remove old solder when desoldering components. You place the end of the wick against the unwanted solder and heat it with a soldering iron, and the solder wicks up into the braided copper via capillary action. Then you snip off the solder-filled end of the wick to expose a new raw end which can be used again.

Wick can be helpful when cleaning up old joints since it gets the old and contaminated solder out of the way. This can be especially useful if you're reworking a recent mass-market bass, since most of them were wired with lead free solder, which can be hard to rework (it flows out at a higher temp and doesn't wet as well.)

A solder sucker is another good tool to have.

148-04.jpg

The plunger gets depressed and locks in the down position via the little black button. Then you heat the unwanted solder until it melts, and while keeping it hot, you position the white nozzle near it, then press the black button to release the plunger. It works like a reverse air pump and sucks in a burst of air, and brings the unwanted liquified solder with it.

Getting the old solder off is only really half the battle. You need to have good technique to rework soldered components, since they're typically not in great shape (covered with old solder, old flux, and a film of corrosion.) Make sure you're tinning your parts and wire, keeping your iron tinned and clean, getting enough heat into the joint quickly, and keeping everything neat. If there's a lot of corrosion (really, ANY visible corrosion or contamination), or any visible old flux, clean it off before doing anything else.

10. Thanks for the info. I am new to soldering and have a lot to learn.

JoeDaddio likes this.
  11. JoeDaddio

JoeDaddio Supporting Member

I used the copper wick primarily for years up until a couple of months ago and then I got a few of those suckers off Amazon for pretty cheap.

I've got to say that I much prefer the plunger sucker over the wick in most cases. The wick is good for getting little leftover stuff though, so I keep both around. I do wish that the sucker had a metal tip, though. It didn't give me any real trouble, but having a plastic tip just seems a little odd given what it's used for, and I just assumed it's why they were selling them three at a time.

joe

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 27, 2021