Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

does fretted mean...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassplayajew, Jul 30, 2002.

1. bassplayajew

bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    Has anyone ever played a fretless that sounded fretted? I recently defretted my Jazz V and it doesn't sound freltess. How is that??

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Not enough mwha.

Check out Gary Willis' site for (neck) setup tips.

3. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    the first fretless I played was a Fender Jazz.
    I was about 15 at the time, I don't remember if I was using a pick or not- I hadn't been bassing long at that point. I was shocked at the lack of mwah. I knew what it wassupposed to sound like, but it wasn't there...

most folks seem to feel that 'mwah', the vocal-like swell of a note, comes from a setup with low action, and a sensitive touch.

Anywho, I ended up getting a Carvin fretless for graduation, and that sucker mwahed no matter what I did! Still does, in fact. I've changed the setup over the years, tried flats/rounds/tapes, and it still mwahs like a cat with a speech impediment.
    I should have named it Muad'dib...

Low action seems to be a factor, and playing further away from the bridge. That tends to be the consensus anyway.
    It should be in there somewhere...

4. A few things that I found useful, is you have to play a little differently to obtain that classic fretless sound. Don't play it exactly like a fretted bass, incorporate more slurs and slides into your playing. Lighten your touch a bit to allow the notes to sustain more and incorporate a little vibrato.
    I found on my Hamer that the best mwah is on notes slightly higher up the neck and its really pronouced on the D&G strings (yes its not a great fretless bass)

For me I found this to work but not all the time. I still find that the bass tends to sounded fretted on the lower notes
    frank

5. bassplayajew

bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    I played my fretless and real fretlesses and the music store, its very clear that mine doesn't sound 100% right. especially when slapping. However I'm not done sanding it and such...

6. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    What strings do you have on it now? I find that strings can impact the mwah quotient too.