Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

does fulltone bassdrive retain lows?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 33degrees, Oct 26, 2005.

1. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
    it doesnt have an EQ on board like the Jaques tube blower, does it retain the low end?
    and also what does the 3 way switch do?

2. Yes.

The 3-way is a mode switch. In the first position it cuts out the compression circuit, any more than a little OD makes the thing colossally loud. Not very useful, IMO, but pretty good if you wanted a clean boost.

The second and third positions change the midrange character. The middle position is called 'FM' and cuts mids a bit, while adding a bit of sibilance. The last postion is called 'vintage' and has more mids than the FM. VIntage is my fave, but I like plenty of midrange. Great sounding OD pedal.

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

More lows than you could need.

4. IMHO, the Bassdrive alters the tone of the lows to be a bit more "round" and "warm" and a little less "tight" and "focused." More of a vintage vibe. I really like this pedal, and it's seeing more use these days than my SABDDI.

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

When you disengage the compressor it doesn't.

6. I luv my bass drive. Plenty of low end. Yam!

7. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Tons of lows. That is really what separates it from the guitar counterpart, the Fulldrive.

8. I really have my eye on this thing... probably this will be my next pedal! I now have the Boss ODB 3, and I must be shure that the Bassdrive isn't like that, it seems to cut out all the mids and I hate this!!!
    Does this Boost switch on it make the signal louder, because this would be very useful for me on some parts of our band's songs!!

9. You won't lose your mids with the Bassdrive while the tone control will give you more "cut" than high end treble.
    Yes the boost switch can make this pedal VERY Loud, but it only works when the drive is also engaged so you don't get a two in one pedal arrangement, more like Bassdrive and Bassdrive on steroids.
    Also with the comp removed in toggle position one it can go Stupid Loud so be very careful not to toggle to comp cut without reducing the drive and boost levels if both are engaged. IIRC this is mentioned in the manual as well.

10. ok, thanks!!
    That is exactlicy what I need for a tapping part, where my distortion usually is too quiet.
    greets :bassist:

11. I owned it for a little bit. It did loose some lows, not a LOT but it did loose some even in comp cut mode.

12. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    the Fulltone is just so damm good compared to anything else I've tried. Sounds warm and nataural. No fizzy buzzsaw sound. Nice tone that lets the sound of your bass come through. I bought it sight unseena dn was delighted when I first tried it.

13. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    If you don't need the boost mode you can save some bucks by buying a used Ibanez Tube Screamer and making a single capacitor swap. The Fulldrive is just a TS clone with a few extra features. The TS9DX works really well with bass as well.

14. Mabis2012

Mabis2012

Mar 25, 2006
    so its just one resistor value swap? what about the ts9dx, do u need to mod that for more bass?

15. ogrossman

ogrossman

May 20, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    +1 I've noticed a slight loss of the low end but a slight tweek of bass tone control (1/8th turn maybe) brings it right back again. I roll the tone control on the Bass-Drive all the way down and get that big fat Jack Bruce overdrive.

16. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    One capacitor, yes. One of the modes of the DX already has a larger cap that has loads of bass, but also uses different clipping diodes for a more aggressive sound. There's a description of the DX modes on analogman.com. Before I built my own TS clone I had a DX that I modded to have more bass in the normal TS mode as well. The catch is you do need a little electronics experience, or take it to a tech who mods pedals.

17. mattq

mattq

May 23, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    i love my bassdrive. i use with the comp cut, tone all or most of the way up and about 8 o'clock on the overdrive. it just dirties up my tone and gives me that punch like mick grondahl on "eternal life" on jeff buckley's grace album. i don't use the boost too much in my band situation cause it just doesn't fit the music. that boost can kill a man if you're not careful

18. Mabis2012

Mabis2012

Mar 25, 2006
    yes i have built a ross compressor, what are the cap values, is there a page where i can find out?
    thanks

19. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    You can download a TS clone project file at www.tonepad.com. It has a schematic. The .027mF input cap should be increased to at least .1mF if not .47 or 1.0mF. The bigger the cap the more bass though really by the time you get to 1.0mF you've effectively lowered the frequncy range enough that higher won't make make an auible difference. The output cap is already 10mf, so it doesn't need to be increased. You could also put in a switch with two values if you wanted to switch between guitar and bass frequency ranges. That's what I did here as well as adding true bypass:
    [​IMG]

20. Mabis2012

Mabis2012

Mar 25, 2006
    very nice!
    and what other things does analogman change? is it worth paying for his modded ts9DX. also can AMan make a maxon
    OD9 have the same amount of bass as the TS9DX?