Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does GK have the worst reliability out there?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Squidfinger, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Just recently I've got a new job and am saving up for a new amp. I've been ampless for while now since my Peavey T-Max fried. I don't know why, but I keep thinking about a GK 700RB 2X10 combo. I really like the features of the GK heads. But I've never in my life heard of a company's amps having even half the problems as GK does. Doesn't it seem like there's a "My new GK head just died" thread posted regularly on TB? What do yall think?

I know I should do a search but I'm heading out the door right now to go to work. Appreciate any input guys. I just want to know if GK should even be in the running for my choices.

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Interesting. I've been playing GK heads for oh, 17 years now and have never had eve nthe slightest issue with them.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    As I understand it, there were only problems with one particular model (GK2000RB IIRC?).

4. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I have a 700RB and totally dig it. it's never been a problem either. I recently took a tour of hte GK plant and was really impressed with the amount of quality control they do. Every circuit (about 3000) in the amplifier is checked 3 different times. Great amps, and great service.

5. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    I "GAVE" my 800RB to Sam Ash for $200 :crying: .
    I am not a fan....

swrswrswrswrswrswrswrswrswr

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I had extreme problems with GK, but that was the infamous 2000RB model. Prior to that, I had an 800RB that took quite a licking for YEARS and kept right on ticking.

Personally, I've heard more about cold solder joint problems with Hartke heads . . .

7. tat2d_13

tat2d_13

Feb 4, 2004
    Minnesota USA
    I bought my 800rb as a floor model from GC in 98 and have not had one problem with it.

8. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Iv'e had a 400RBIII 1x15 combo that never had a problem and now I use a 1001RB 2x10 combo (floor model too) that never had a problem.

9. Here's an intiresting one.. i went to GC about 10 months ago to replace my stolen gear and i bought the 1001RB II and was super happy in the store. I got one fresh out of the box (or so it seemed), and went home and plugged it in and within 5 minutes it was dead. farted once and then the lights went out. So of course i took it back and ended up getting an 800RB instead. SOLID AS HELL! for the weight/cost/sound issue, i think i came out ahead (was that a pun?).. sounds awesome through a single cab using the built in bi-amp feature.... but in saying that, if i could've afforded an all tube SVT i would've gone that road instead.....

10. Yep, 400RBMK4 here, floor model, bought a GK410 cab with it, played it for 3 or 4 nights with a band, sounded awesome, thought I had the perfect rig. Then around the 4th or 5th session, the tone dropped to dookie and this intermittent farty noise kept creeping through the mix as we played. Thought maybe I had a bad cab so I run to Guitar Center the next day, they give me a new 410 in the box, that night-same thing! My bass has pretty hot active pickups so I borrowed one with passive-same thing! Finally I got so disgusted I carried the whole setup, bass and all, to Guitar Center and start troubleshooting. Finally plugged a different head in and behold-No more burpin' and fartin' comin' outta this rig! I went home with an Ampeg B2R and so far so good!
    :cool:

11. jazzyb

jazzyb

Feb 7, 2004
    norfolk england
    Five week old 700rb115 combo, straight out of the box, appeared to have blown power amp with nothing plugged into amp at the time! Was loaned another GK, had mine sorted and now up and running again. We expect electronics to be trouble free these days but few makes can boast complete reliability. I'm so pleased with my bi-amp sound and having the ability to drive another cab, with increased power. No way have I been put off by my experience, GK make great amps.

12. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    I'll be watching this thread closely...

Thinking about getting a 1001 RB head or the 1001 RB 210 combo...

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    So far not a problem with anything. Daniel Elliot tends to pop up every now and then around here and make sure everything in GK world is perfect. Going on two years with my 400RB-III without a problem, in every situation from metal to jazz to acoustic rock. GK is sweet. :)

14. lsu921

lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    I don't think so. I think they had a few problems with some earlier models, but since have worked those issues out. I was worried about the same thing in January when I was rig shopping. I bought the 700RB and it's a great value. I haven't had a problem with it yet, and I really don't expect any. You'll find bad reviews with just about any gear. Go to Harmony Central and read the reviews on the Eden WT300 and Mesa Walkabout. You'll see some reliability issues with those. We have a WT300 in church that was made in 1997 and haven't had any problems with it.

I think people feel the need to make a negative post when something goes wrong, but feel less compeled to leave a positive post when everything is working fine. There are way more good GK's out and about than bad GK's.

15. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I have a GK Backline 250BL. It's the most reliable head on the market, it's so bad it can never sound any worse! What a bargain!

16. AQUANOVA

AQUANOVA

Sep 13, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm thinking if getting a Gallien Krueger Backline 112 combo. (100w)
    It would be an upgrade to my practice amp and more portable than my Gallien Krueger 400RB head on a Carvin 115 Cab for small rooms.
    Any pros or cons you might have on this amp or reccomendations for something you think is better would be much appreciated.
    I play old school Rock and Roll, Motown, nothing fancy, don,t slap and like a nice round deep tone.

17. I had an old 800RB that was every bit as reliable as everyone here states. NEVER had a problem with it. HOWEVER, the store where I get all my musical needs taken care of told me that the 800RB was the amp that they see the most for repairs- and that it would be best to get a different amp before the law of averages caught up to me.

In addition, my girlfriend's brother bought an amplifier/ instrument repair business including all the excess stock (unclaimed equipment, scrap, parts, etc). The two most common brands of amplifiers in the store are GK (at least 5 800RBs) and many old QSC poweramps (sorry Bob!).

18. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    really?

GK 2000Rb are so weak?

i just found one for sale used. i was interested but now i am a ltittle bit worried.... what to do?

19. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    The reason you hear so much about GK is because they have great tone, but there are some problematic models - 400RB-III, 700RB-I, 1001RB-I, 2001RB-I. All these models had the same soldering problems, but sounded great.
    The newer models have a new circuitry board, and they were improved.

I'm now going the pre + power setup, and couldnt find a used GK 2001RBP here; if I would've found one, I would've been very happy with it.