does guitar center haggle?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kyo, Oct 7, 2004.

1. kyo

Jul 6, 2004
    sad to say guitar center is the only nearby place for me to get gear. however the last time i made the journey to instrumental music, when i got my guitar, the salesman let me knock off lots of bucks because i got the floor model. does guitar center do this too if i tell them that i only have a limited amount of money?
  2. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Guitar Center will always haggle if you ask them to give you a better deal. As I recall their salespeople make 30% commission on every sale so there's plenty of room for them to haggle with, 300 bucks if you're buying something for a grand. So ask what's the best price they can give you, make sure that price will be good if you come back later and then walk out. Try some other stores even if you have to call them and see how good that price is. If it's good, make it happen, if it's not go back and tell them the deal and see what happens. Good luck boss.
  3. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Guitar center will haggle. I got most of my bass rig there for a great price. I got $700+ worth of stuff for $400.
  4. I thought GC made less then 1% on commision.
  5. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I always heard the saleman markup at GC was whatever they could get over a base price. It's interesting to see all the different theories :) Wonder if any of them are true?
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I personally don't care how much they make, as long as they're willing to haggle. I don't care where I find the bass of my dreams, as long as they're willing to haggle.

If nobody'll budge, I'll buy from my local mom and pop store. If GC will go lower, I'll buy it there. I'm sorry, I'm a poor musician :)
  7. Yes the will. Remember not to look too excited about it when you ask.
  8. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Yes - be more educated on the products than them (typically not that hard). I won't buy anything that is more than 70-75% of retail price.
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

As long as the item isn't on one of their super low sale prices, they will haggle.This is more of a Miscellaneous thread, so that is where I am moving it.
  10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    GC will haggle as much as the next music store. Most stores get their gear for around the same price from the dealers (with a few notable exceptions). Buy from the place that will not only give you a good deal, but will treat you like a human being as well.

BTW, GC pays about 8% of the profit plus 2% of the gross sale, in California at least. A pittance for all the crap those dudes have to put up with.
  11. kyo

Jul 6, 2004
    the ibanez i want to get is $205 + tax. asking for it for $180 flat would be reasonable right?
  12. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Alway haggle at GC.
    I believe, they mark everything they take in trade up 100%.
    I traded in a 1977P-bass, all original I payed $800.00 for bass.
    They listed bass for $1800.00.
    If bass they are selling has price of $2000.00.
    I will never offer more than $1400.00-$1500.00.
    If you got cash, they better the haggle.
    Never take there first two offers.
    Be polite, but don't cave in, be willing to walk away and come back later.
    I have made some great deals at GC.
  13. kyo

Jul 6, 2004
    so i got my bass today, got them to take the price down a couple of bucks, good times :)
  14. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Does a fluffy white rabbit **** in the woods?
  15. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    They haggle, and have a lot of room to do so. Depending on the item you're buying and how good of a customer you are, they might be more willing to haggle than on other deals.

I went in one time and bought a couple hundred dollars worth of pedals, cords, strings, and a guitar stand from an accessories sales person. Now I only give him my business on that type of merchandise and pay 25% less than the stated lowest price, and he says he still makes a bit of profit.:D
  16. :smug:
  17. slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    whenever i haggle, i feel really guilty, like i did something to ruin anothers day. i hate buying stuff. Oddly enough, i am great at haggling for other people, like if it isnt for me, i dont really care. hmmm.... weird.

18. At my GC there's a daddys about 1000 feet down the road, so if they wont sell whatever you want for what you want, I'll be like "Well, I got this X amount of money in my pocket, and I need one of X objects, and I can get it at daddys for cheaper so...*"

*give them time to change their minds.

It works both ways too. "Well I can get it at GC for less so..."