Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does heavier always mean deeper with Amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yamarc, Oct 12, 2002.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I have a Crest LT series power amp, the Crest line seems to have a tremendous low end that other lighter power amps lack. I mean to say that EBS HD-350 will not go as deep as my Crest Aguilar setup. I wish it would as I would save a bunch of money and backaches. Is this the same experience with everyone else? I definetly know there is a difference, I have AB'ed the Crest with many other amps, and nothing else compares. Anyone? Marc

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    No.

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    The bass response from my Mesa Walkabout (13 lbs) and my Aguilar 1x12 (39 lbs) is so great that I have to actually dial out the bass around 150hz to avoid being too boomy.

No backache, one trip load in. No compromise in tone.

Just lucky, I guess. :D

4. Once again bassmonkeee beat me to my reply. :cool:

On the other hand I'm a huge fan of valve tone. That's why SVT's, TE V4's-6's-8's, and certain Mesa's kill. You can rarely get all that tube tone without the tubes... although I must admit the WalkAbout does a VERY good job (it does have two tubes in the pre).