1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does Ibanez SR500 have active pickups or just active EQ? Can you use an active DI box

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nearpoint, Aug 20, 2012.

1. nearpoint

nearpoint

Aug 20, 2012
    So two questions in this one post.

First of all I know the Ibanez SR500 takes a battery, so something is active, but on some websites they say it has passive pickups with active EQ, and some sites say the bass has active pickups! I am so confused, does this bass have active pickups or not?

My deal is that I own a Radial J48 active direct box, and I want to buy the SR500 and I am just wondering if it will be a problem recording the SR500 through an active direct box, or would I need a passive one?

If the SR500 had active pickups, I hear recording through an active direct box can add noise. But if the pickups on the SR500 are passive then it should be fine. Although it does seem like the EQ is active then. Anyone have any comments on this?

THanks so much, look forward to your responses!

2. My SR505 has active EQ / passive pickups - I think the series is the same throughout.

Amazing sound IMO, of course I'm a noob.

3. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    It's right like that

Bartolini mk1 are passive soapbars with active 3 band equalizer

Nordstrands are Bartolini perfect replacement with exposed polepieces: they can allow a "truer" (sorry for the wording)
    passive sound, if you swap an on/off switch in the mid scoop switch placement.

But, forgetting the aforementioned option to add the Premium
    "spice" to a regular Ibanez Soundgear:
    1- passive pickups mean no particular issue to adapt to a D.I.
    2- Bartolini passive soapbars are better with an on/off switch

Cheers,
    Wallace

4. tunewriter

tunewriter

Jul 26, 2012
    Need opinions. How much better are the post 2007 SR500's with the toggle switch? IF I can get a solid 2006 for about $300 is it worth it even if I do not get the toggle?

5. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    The toggle switch was added late 2009 or early 2010. It is well worth the upgrade! Plus, the model years prior to that had bad pre-amp issues but the 2010 models on seemed to have fixed the problem with the added toggle switch.

6. I'm pretty sure the Radial can handle an active instrument plugged into it. I use a Sansamp (sometimes two) and the active output on my bass has an extra-hot option- no problem.

I didn't bother researching the Radial, but I'm sure it has an input level control.

The SR500 isn't a bad bass for the money. And it's hard for me to say that because I'm not a big fan of Ibbys.

7. jbailes

jbailes

Apr 5, 2012
    A couple months ago, I bought an Ibby SR500 to be kind of a "contrast" from my jazz basses. I just couldn't get it to sound decent. Nice feeling, nice playing, lightweight bass, but with import pups and a bottom feeder preamp. I thought about jackin' it up with Nordstrand big splits and an OBP-3, but that would have cost almost as much as the bass did! So I traded it in for a Warwick rockbass corvette $$. Glad I did.

8. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I've got two SR506s. I think that is right that it has passive pickups with active EQ. But I don't think it does you any good without a wiring mod because mine don't have any active/passive switch. I see no reason why you can't run it into a DI as is. They are very hot outputs but the bass has a volume control on it. And perhaps the Radial does as well.

Sure they don't measure up to my Modulus, but for what I paid, they are amazing. Play like butter. Thin neck, light, comfy, and sound like a million! Tone to spare. Bought them to contrast with my Jazz and G&L basses. (Yeah, there are some issues with tonal change on the C string in particular, but you can EQ it out. But hey, I bought them as cheap bar basses and they do that job with flying colors! There is NO problem gigging with these.)

9. clasher

clasher

Jul 26, 2012
    I have a SRX500 which I got long time ago while it's on sale. Got it for like US200-300. It's passive humbucker with active eq.

Amazing bass for the money. I recently put some Rotosound 77 Jazz Flats on it and it sounded deep and low. Very comfortable playing and super reliable. I have a Stingray too and they are 2 different animals.

Can't ask for more for that kind of money and I'll continue to keep it as my 2nd bass.

10. I ended up installing the same Bartolinis in my SR535 that came in the Prestige models of the time. It made a difference, but not enough to warrant keeping the bass. I don't like narrow string spacing, and the 535 helped my realize that.

The switch on the newer models isn't active/passive. It's a mid-frequency control.

EDIT: I just looked at the J48, and it has a pad switch. Yes, it will work.

I'm pretty sure in this day and age, any DI should be capable of accepting and handling an active signal.

11. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    I had an SR505 for a while and it was a great bass. The import pickups and bottom feeder preamp work marvelously. Alas, it was my experiment with five strings and it taught me that I don't like having five strings, at least not if they are that close together. So I sold it relatively quickly but if it had been an SR500 I would have it still. The toggle switch does indeed pick one of two possible frequencies for the mid band control.

I cannot see why an active pickup would work any differently with a DI box than a passive pickup/active preamp would. An active pickup is simply a passive pickup with a preamp built into the pickup housing. If your DI box is compatible with an active preamp it should be compatible with an active pickup. Either one could potentially over-drive a DI box, I suppose, but nearly all basses have volume controls on them....

Ken