Does intonation need to perfect? PART 2 String Length

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Hardbassjunkie, Dec 25, 2019.

1. I have officially set up my first Bass all by myself. I had a little trouble with the intonation in a A string as it was showing up as sharp on my tuner but after immense fiddling I got it just right. BUT my question to everyone is if there are also repercussions for having the strings really short. I have added a picture so people know what I mean. The reason I ask because most basses I see there is some room left for adjust ment on the saddle screw. This is not the case for this bass. Is this an issue?

20191225_092614.jpg

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Standard line of questioning:

*Did you set your witness points?

*Adequate break angle at the nut?

*How are you eval'ing intonation: open string vs 12th fretted, 12th fretted vs 12th harmonic, etc?

The resulting configuration looks okay but we're just ruling out the simple stuff.

Riis

3. I believe I have adequately addressed those things

4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Then you're good to go. The "immense fiddling" on the A string was a head-scratcher...was it particularly problematic and, if so, how?

Riis

5. When the A string was in tine the rest of the notes were slightly sharp. (Could not hear the difference but my tuner said so) so I adjusted it until it was good. Just took a lot longer then other strings

Zooberwerx likes this.
  6. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Depends on the strings. The stiffer/less flexible the string, the further back the saddle needs to be for good intonation.

7. So is there an issue with how my bridge is now?

8. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    If it’s intonated, plays well, and sounds good, then there’s no problem!

9. Awesome! Thanks

10. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    Perfect intonation is a virtual impossibility as there are other factors that apply. Just get it as close as you can, and believe me no one will notice.

11. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    A friend owned one of the old Peterson Strobe Tuners, the big unit that looks like an occiloscope, and I used to drive myself crazy trying to "perfectly" intonate my bass, which is apparently impossible due to the approximate nature of frets on most instruments. If it sounds good, it IS good. I have an old-school analog quartz crystal based Bananna brand tuner with a VU style needle indicator. I like it better that any of the modern digital varieties (and plus, it just refuses to die, bought in 1984!), and when the needle hits center, I'm done!

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021