1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does it Even Exist

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TJ Wilkins, Dec 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. TJ Wilkins

TJ Wilkins

Oct 3, 2017
    I am looking to transfer a PJ pickup set into my Pulcinella LVL 5. The problem is that the body has two J cavities.

I know Aero does an 'inline' P pickup that can be matched with a hum-cancelling J; however, I'm not able to spend $500 on a pickup upgrade at present (which is also why I'm not just having the cavity routed to standard split P pickup specs).

I talked with Lindy Fralin a few weeks ago on the phone, and he is working on a prototype but is at least 6 months out of having a viable option.

Does anyone know of any other pickup builders that do an inline P?

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    You want a P pickup in a J size format? Isn't that basically just an overwound split coil J?

3. TJ Wilkins

TJ Wilkins

Oct 3, 2017
    Yes, but you'd be amazed at how difficult it is to find a decent 5 string option... unless I'm missing something about pickup construction.

4. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Closest thing to what you're asking for is a Dimarzio J. At least in my experience.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    basscapes, gidbass and TonyP- like this.
  5. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    A split coil J will sound nothing like a P pickup.

This is an "inline" P. It's a single coil.

Antiquity-II-Single-Coil-P-Bass.

6. TJ Wilkins

TJ Wilkins

Oct 3, 2017
    What I also forgot to mention was that I need to have zero hum in this set. I do most of my work in the studio.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  7. A Dimarzio Model J pickup is about as close as you can get in terms of getting a P pickup tone from a J-shaped pickup. You could combine it with an Area J or Ultra J pickup in the bridge position for a more conventional Jazz tone from the bridge pickup.

8. TJ Wilkins

TJ Wilkins

Oct 3, 2017
    Help me out, here, then. A Fender 50s P pickup is, essentially, a split coil J, right? Maybe I'm crazy...

9. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    No it is a single coil and does not buck hum. It will not fit into a J cavity.

A P pickup and a J pickup are very different things. The sound does not come from the splitting of the pickups, but in the size and shape of the coils.

The split P was just to make it humbucking. The same can be done in a J pickup to make them humbucking as well, or you can stack coils to make them humbucking, but you can't get P sound out of a J or vice versa.

alesreaper9 and TJ Wilkins like this.
  10. TJ Wilkins

TJ Wilkins

Oct 3, 2017
    Okay, thanks for the clarification. To be completely clear, I'm looking for a non $500 version of the attached pickup (by Aero). I want the P sound and no noise.

Does it exist?

Attached Files:

11. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Nope, those were unsplit single coils (hum factories). Though there are pickup makers who make split coils in the SC format (Got myself one from Curtis Novak. :thumbsup:)

tb-hc2.
    tb-hc.
    Tele Bass / P51 humcanceled pickup

If I were OP, I'd send Curtis an email and see if he can fit one in a J cover...

Ductapeman likes this.
  12. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri

You want a humbucking inline neck position J then. (that will hopefully match your string spacing)

This is poor ad copy on the part of Aero calling it a P. I'm not sure they understand pickups based on that and probably wouldn't buy from them.

ajn likes this.
  13. TJ Wilkins

TJ Wilkins

Oct 3, 2017

OP I am, and call him I did... waiting to hear back :)

bholder likes this.
  14. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  15. TJ Wilkins

TJ Wilkins

Oct 3, 2017
    Thanks for the feedback, all. I think I'm just going to have go through with routing the J cavity into a P. It seems like the best option without paying a premium that will also deliver the sound I want.

16. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    LOL. Aero has been in the pickup business a long time, and has a very good reputation. You'll find a lot of high end basses with their stuff - Fodera, etc. They may have some poor wording, but I assure you they do understand pickups.

This kind of hum-cancelling J pickup is very common. You'll see a few different names/descriptions for them - split-coil J, inline humcancelling, etc. They all refer to having two coils side-by-side rather than stacked on top of each other.

Seymour Duncan, Dimarzio, Nordstrand, Aero, Bartolini, all have split coil Js for five strings. Fralin doesn't list them as a stock item, but they'll do it custom. Just about any pickup maker will do them, they're very common.

True, they won't get a completely accurate P style split coil sound because the coils are different - split Ps have coils that are shorter in height, and wider across front-to-back. But a split coil J in the neck position, soloed, will get you pretty well in the ball park.

17. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I don't actually build pickups, but I've I've asked a few pickup builders about split coil Js for 5 strings in the past out of curiosity. Answers were a bit vague (can't blame anybody for not wanting to give away their hard-earned secrets/knowledge) but here's the impression I got......

True, a split coil J for a five string will have two different sized coils, but they'll usually have about the same amount of wire on each coil to achieve good hum cancellation. So the B-E-A half will behave a bit under-wound compared to the D-G half (and this is usually how they split them). This works out pretty well, as it makes the B-E-A half a bit brighter and the D-G half a bit darker, kind of works out like a reverse P setup. Volume gets balanced by using slightly different strength magnets, and I think a few guys even use slightly different gauge wire on each coil to help balance volume and tone between the two inequal coils.

18. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    $252 for a pair of Nordstrand hum-cancelling Js; they'll definitely do custom stuff if you want over- or under-wound, etc. for a very reasonable charge.

Nordstrand 5 string J pickups

Aside from all the ones I already mentioned, Sadowsky used to sell their hum-cancelling J pickups at reasonable prices, but I'm not seeing them on their website right now. Maybe give them a call if you're interested.

And, of course, check the "For Sale" stuff here - people are always rolling pickups looking for the perfect tone, so you can usually find good deals on slightly used stuff. Look on Ebay, too.

19. Jazz bass pickups have longer magnets so the windings are tall and narrow. Pbass has shorter magnets and the windings are short and wide. This makes a difference in tonality - so even if you had a split-side-by-side jazz pickup it wouldn't sound the same as a P-bass pickup.
    P_BASS_Bobbin.
    J_BASS_Bobbin.

20. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Oh, and if you do decide to go ahead and get your bass routed, you'd be best served to get it done for one of the more common 5 string soapbar shapes - either Bartolini P2 size or EMG 40 size. The larger shell accomodates all kinds of coil configurations, so there's a ton of options available in those shapes from a bunch of different makers - P-style split coil, reverse-P, dual coil, single coil, etc., etc...........