Does it hurt?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Oysterman, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Suppose someone shoots you with 12 gauge 00 buckshot shotgun ammo in the chest from 5 metres or so. Of what I've understood, without armour you're most likely dead but with a BP vest you'll probably live.

I can imagine it hurts anyway, at least if you're wearing a non-rigid vest, but how much of an impact would it be? Enough to break ribs? And wouldn't it hurt at all if the vest was rigid, would it just knock you back a bit?

Why do I ask this on a bass forum? Well... yeah.
  2. You really shouldn't haved messed with the mafia in the first place.
  3. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Well, think about it. You're still being hit with a bunch of pellets that are moving very very fast, and then brought to a halt very very quickly. I'd imagine you'd get a nice big bruise, or six.
  4. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Common sense tells me it would hurt quite a bit.
  5. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I know, but it's too late now. It's a tough choice, you know... while rigid armour gives better protection it's also bulkier by design - can't run away as easy, and since I can't hide it under my jacket I fear they'll just shoot me in the head instead.
  6. Projectiles being stopped by a kevlar vest can and often do break ribs.

It is similar to getting hit in the chest full swing by a baseball bat.
  7. Someone's been playing a bit tooo much Half-Life.

The Pump Action Shot Gun kills in one shot. I imagine initially it would just feel like you're being pushed down very very hard, after that you might not feel anything until you try to stand up and notice several bones are broken.
  8. The part that hurts the most is when the person that shot you doesn't call the next day. :(

9. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Let's try it.

Stand still.
  10. odie

odie Supporting Member

Man I really hope he didnt just get done watching Jacka$$!!!

Yes it will break a rib and you cant predict where the shot/pellets will go. Bullets still go through Kevlar at times.
  11. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    It hurts. Like hell.
  12. if it doesn't stop your heart, you should probably be ok.
  13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Hasn't American media taught you anything? It hurts but you can get right back up and catch evil-doers. ;)
  14. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    ay yi yi :rolleyes:...So he's got a vest now huh?

Forget the buckshot! We'll be usin' Flechette rounds on this one [​IMG]
  15. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002 room...
    well.. depends whos shooting it.. If its the A team, dont even where the vest, they aren't gonna hit you anyway!
  16. hmmmmmmmmmm.... i wonder.........
    Don't worry, at least you have an excuse to sit around on your arse now...;)
  17. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    DHC makes a good point, it can easily stop your heart especially if you have any heart problems/defects...
    many police issue vests (at least in pennsylvania) are inadequate for stopping shotgun pellets and even .22's. there are spaces between the armor plates where they can actually enter...

scary :eek:
  18. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas

19. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    OK, so being shot while wearing Kevlar hurts. But what about the heavy-ass steel- and ceramics reinforced combat suits that SWAT teams and the likes sometimes have - does it hurt just as much wearing one of those? I've heard someone say that they'd absorb the shock from bullet so well it wouldn't even bruise you, but I doubt he has first-hand experience.
  20. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    Well, from what I've heard its like being hit in the chest with a sledge hammer. It makes sense if you think about it, the energy of the buckshot has to be transfered somewhere, which in that case would be through the vest to your chest without much dampening at all. And yeah, you would be kicked back somewhat...

Thats talking about regular armor ie what the police use... I'm not too familar with what swat teams use, but I'm betting you'd still get a good kick and bruise from buckshot...

Also, you gotta be careful, because the pellets can be deflected if they aren't absorbed by the vest into your neck/head. I suppose its rare, but still can happen.