1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does it make sense to trade up from an S1 MIA P-bass, to a 2008 MIA P-Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kristlik, Feb 17, 2008.

1. kristlik

kristlik Guest

Nov 22, 2006
    Lincoln, NE
    I just purchased a 60th Aniv. Butterscotch Blonde, Rosewood fingerboard MIA P Bass at a close out price of $690, last month. This month a new 2008 MIA P Bass, tri burst, Rosewood, tort pg, came in: and I must say, I having some terrible GAS pains.

I can get a full refund from my S1 P Bass purchase, to apply towards the purchase of the 2008 P Bass.

I like my Butterscotch P Bass, but I've been GASing for a sunburst for some time; and I really like the mods they've done on the 2008 P Bass.

Is it better to hold onto a P Bass that you got a good deal on, or to pay a bit more (just a fair price-but still $400 more) to get the bass you really want?

2. I would rather mod the S1 Pbass. Get a whole lot more bass for the same price as the new one.

3. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland
    I'd keep the one you've got. $400 could go a long way toward that next bass that looms on your horizon. A P-bass is a P-bass is a P-bass (same vintage of course), so unless you really hate the butterscotch look, I'd keep it and play the hell out of it.

4. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    Keep it and throw some Fralin P Bass pups in it...or something to your liking. Then you'd have a "vintage" thump machine! I must say that the new Standard American basses are incredible though...played a maple fretboard, white w/ tort guard P bass and it nailed that "p bass" tone. $690 is an awesome price on the Butterscotch!

5. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    does the maple fret board have the gloss finish that's on the front of the head stock ?

6. Keep the one you have and save your money. That way you'll be able to pick up one of the new ones used sometime in the future, most likely for about what you paid for the one you have now, or even less.

7. kristlik

kristlik Guest

Nov 22, 2006
    Lincoln, NE
    Thanks all, good advice, and I must agree; it would be much smarter to save up and get something at least a bit more different--like a USA Vintage 62 or 57, or Lakland Bob Glaub or PJ Bob Glaub. At least I would get the bit wider neck that I am also wanting/needing, as well as different/or maybe better PUPs.

Thanks again. Nice to have a place to field some ideas.

8. honeyboy

honeyboy

Oct 31, 2004
    From what I can see. unless your present bass is too heavy for you and you really prefer the sunburst, I'd say keep the one you have, just like most everyone else has said. You got a great deal on it! oops, I didn't see your response.