1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

does it really matter?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by boamedt, Mar 23, 2009.

1. boamedt

boamedt Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    does it really matter if i have my 15" cab on top of my 4x10?
    does it change anything having the 15 on the bottom? my
    4x10 is as wide as the 15, but longer

2. Lunchbox4u_6

Lunchbox4u_6

Dec 1, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    I was always under the impression that the larger speakers, 15's and 18's specifically, didn't really get heard until you got to the back of the club and that's why they were always stacked on the bottom. I've never owned anything larger than a 12, so i can't really speak to it via experience, but i thought it did matter but only for what you hear on stage.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    A fifteen usually has less midrange extension than a 4x10, so having the 4x10 on the top is the usual arrangement, but the wider radiating plane of two tens side by side gives narrower midrange dispersion than a 1x15, so it's a flawed logic. But then so is pairing a 4x10 with a 1x15 in hopes of getting more low end, as most 4x10s have more low end capability than most 1x15s anyway. :rolleyes:
    Try it both ways. Whichever you like the best is how you should run them.

4. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    yes, it does matter. There isn't a right or wrong though......do it both ways and listen.

Keep in mind though, don't just listen at arms length....get back.

5. David1234

David1234

Jun 1, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: SWR Amplifiers
    Either cab can be on top.

What this does to the the dispersion of your sound will vary from cab to cab and from room to room. If you like the 15 on top, then keep doing it.