does lighter e string = tighter sound?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BrandonBass, Sep 18, 2006.

1. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    Im using 105-45 and i find that the e string is not as tight as i like it to be, sounds muddy and too warm some times. Will a lighter gauge say 100-45 be able to make it sound tighter? Will it become more floppy etc? thanks

2. i use a lighter gauge for this very reason. 100, or even a 98 at times.
    I feel I have more "control" over the string when its a smaller gauge. I do a lot of ghost notes and muted notes on the E strings and feel its too "thumpy" with a higer gauge... ie 105 +

3. +1

4. The Craw

The Craw

Jul 31, 2006
    If you go from a 105 E to a 100 E in the same brand, it will have less tension. But that shouldn't mean floppy. You might find yourself adjusting your technique a little to acommodate the change. Or maybe not.

Anyway it's hard to say if it will help your sound or not. In some cases it will. It's worth a try.

5. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    What exactly is tight sound?

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021