Does "Line-out" mean I can attach a second cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Nov 15, 2002.

1. I have a Samick SM-25B practice amp (1x10 and 80W). I don't have any instructions for this amp.

I noticed it has a line-out in the back. Can I attach a second cabinet via this connection?
  2. Line out is a signal that can be taken to another amp, then that external power amp could drive another speaker.

If you have the ability to hook up an external speaker, it will say "Ext Speaker" or something like that next to a jack on the back.

3. Hey, does that mean I can buy another under-powered combo amp and hook it up to my current under-powered combo amp and make a mega-under-powered combo combo amp?
  4. Hmmm...this is interesting. So let's say I bought a 120W 1x10 amp (I just made that up).

Would it be as loud as a 200W 2x10 amp?

Also, would there be any safety considerations like overheating or electrical overloads?
  5. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    a. more or less

b. Shouldn't be any

It's about the same as running a Y-cable from your bass to both combo amps.
  6. Another question (and this is my 300th post!).

Assume that the 120W amp also had a line out. Does it matter which way I hook up the amps? Will the 120W blow out the 80W amp if connected from 120W to 80W?
  7. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    No, it's just a preamp signal.
    It wouldn't matter which way you hooked them up.

I don't think the Samick would function as part of a stage rig, though. I'm guessing the 80 watts is what it says on the back of the amp (how much AC can enter from the wall) and the '25' in the model number is what tells you the actual number of watts. And the speaker is probably only designed to handle that much.
  8. Hmmm...could it be that I only have a 25W amp???? I always thought it was an 80W amp...I turned down some 200W amps because I thought it wouldn't be significantly louder (2 x wattage = 3db increase...).

Crap. I think I should get a new amp then!
  9. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    All this daisy-chaining is making my head hurt.....(you'll probably end up creatin' some awesome/killer tone just cuz I opened my mouth hehe)