Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does lower action make plucking easier?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by JWC, May 7, 2001.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    ??

2. Hmmmmmmm.... no. If you think about it.....how would that work exactly? You could raise your strings a foot ( not really) and it'd be the same as plucking with even the lowest action. It's all about comfort in your fretting hand..... lower action makes it easier to fret notes faster but can also buzz.... higher action lets you dig in and beat the hell out of your strings without buzzing. The only reason I could relate string height to plucking would be..... if your action is lower when you're playing your E ( or B) it would be an easier feel letting your fingers hit the body when finger picking...... ummm that doesn't make sense huh??????..............whatever

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Wow, two threads, you must really want to know. ;) :) On a similar note to my post on the other thread, low action will make you go faster, but because you have to have a lighter touch to avoid fretbuzz, you won't have as strong of an attack, and, in my opinion, that takes some punch out of the sound. And, if you have to amplify your sound even more to compensate, you're raising the signal to noise ratio of your sound, and it all goes downhill from there. But that's just me.