Does lowering the action change the value of the guitar?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BioDragoon, Jun 27, 2005.

1. BioDragoon

Jun 24, 2005
    Reseda, CA
    Not sure if this is a valid question, or if it reeks of ignorance...but my dad doesn't want to lower the action of my Fender, unless he knows it won't change the value. He's pretty anal about it because it is Pre-CBS...
  2. TheBassBetween

Jun 25, 2005
    It's just a personalisation, I'm pretty sure it won't affect the value of it. It's like asking if different strings will affect the value.
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    No, having a vintage instrument in playable condition is a great thing, and it won't change the value. Just make sure to take great care in adjusting it. Do it very slowly, and usually only 1/4 turn in a day.
  4. poundround

Mar 8, 2005
    Lynchburg VA
    Yes, it will lower the value. So how about selling it to me for about 20 bucks. ;)
  5. BioDragoon

Jun 24, 2005
    Reseda, CA
    Sweet! $20! *Spicoli* ALLLRIGHT! :bassist:

Thanks for the responses.

I think I am going to have it lowered by somebody else, rather than do it myself. One, so screw ups are THEIR fault, and two, because if my dad saw me even LOOKING for the truss, he'd crucify me.
  6. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Then don't let the guys at guitar center mess with
  7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    That for the truss rod. I hope if the only thing he needs to adjust is his action he doesn't do it by adjusting the truss rod :eyebrow:
  8. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
  9. Look at it this way...what good is it having an instrument (even a vintage instrument) if you can't PLAY it? And part of playing it involves, maintaining it and keeping it PLAYABLE...that involves things like truss rod adjustment, and bridge adjustment...have it done, and have it done by someone reputeable and do your research.

People that play multi-million dollar stratavarius violins and cellos have their instruments worked on too, ya know.
  10. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    The truss rod affects action but is definatly NOT the proper way to adjust the action. The truss rod should be adjusted to get the proper releif or bend in the neck and the action is adjusted with the bridge saddles. Adjusting the action at the bridge saddles won't do anything to change the value of the bass ever. It's also very easy you really can't screw up the bass in anyway by doing it unless you do something really super stupid. The truss rod is easy if you're carful but if it needs to be adjusted and you feel uncomfortable doing it your self it's perfectly reasonable to have someone else do it.

If you just want the action changed use an allen wrench to adjust the bridge saddles. If it feels to high lower it or if it buzzes too much raise it.
  11. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    If it plays well at a low action, it will play well at a higher action. Lowering the action, as long as it still plays well, only increases the value.
  12. BioDragoon

Jun 24, 2005
    Reseda, CA
    Perfect...lowered it a was perfectly playable before, but now it's just smooth as butter.