Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does mesa allow stores to sell on line?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wes Whitmore, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I am looking for a Mesa Walkabout, but I cant find any place online that sells them. I was thinking that some places had them for 699 somewhere.
    Thanks,
    Wes

2. Heckxx

Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    nope. companies like Mesa-Boogie and Bogner never have their stuff being sold online. They don't like the idea of people buying their stuff w/o actually trying it.

3. Nope. The only way to buy them online is when the discontinue a model and put it on their web site. That's how I got my former M-2000 head.

4. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Man, paying retail prices is not much fun. I guess I am lucky I even have a mesa dealer. It's probably going to be at least $799 new...

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Mesa has set pricing for all of their gear. Discounting is a no-no. I can't remember if the going price for Walkabouts is $799, or $899, but the price is the price. Otherwise, the dealer is breaking his agreement with Mesa and could lose his dealership.

I managed to finagle a 1/4" to Speakon cable, but that was it. :D

The Walkabouts do sound amazing, though. I love mine.

6. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    That almost makes me feel better, almost. I like what Mesa is doing. It keeps their name in good standing and keeps the dealers honest. I just didn't know that was how it works with them. It's a different mentality than scouring the internet to find the best price on a particular item. I don't mind paying the money for quality, I just don't want to pay more than they guy who just came in 5 minutes before me.

A secondary concern is that local shops never carry anything new in stock. If you are lucky enough to find a particular model, chances are it's a floor model. They have to order one in, it might take a couple weeks, and sometimes I can't take it back since it would be a special order. If they do have a demo, I can order one in, but I can usually do that for cheaper by myself. In a smaller guitar store, you stand a chance of it being in better condition just because it doesn't see 20 people a day plugging into it. In GC or Sam ash, it might not even turn on. That was the case with the only two walkabouts that I have used (besides my local dealer) when I was in texas. They were abused. They didn't have any more in stock. That was probably about the time they were blowing them out, although it wasn't a new model so GC might have been breaking their obligation? Who knows.

Oh, does the mesa come with that tote bag, or is that a extra item?

Thanks!

Wes

7. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ

The tote bag is extra.

I'm also planning to purchase a walkabout scout, and I agree with the others that Mesa is adamant about you "kicking the tires" for their gear as opposed to buying online. It may make acquiring one a little more cumbersome, but it reduces the amount of returns, plus it allows Mesa to have some say in who they will authorize to perform repairs on their gear.

Good luck w/ your purchase!

8. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    One exception is that I believe stores are allowed to sell a few floor demo items at a reduced price. I have seen a demo Walkabout at GC for $599. And awhile ago they were selling some demo cabs at a reduced price.

9. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Unfortunately or GC doesn't sell mesa. The Cincinatti does, but I don't want a floor model from that store. The local shop here has one, but probably has not intention to haggle. It's worth a shot though.
    Wes

10. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Guys, my experience was exactly the opposite.
    I went to the local GC (in Lake Forest, CA) and they had a "floor model" Walkabout for 410 bucks. I said I'd take it, as long as they had one new in the box.
    They went in the back, and voila'....a brand new Walkabout in the sealed carton! I popped it open, and the gig bag WAS INCLUDED in the box!!! 450 out the door (incl. tax)...a GREAT head, and a great deal.
    I don't know if that GC violated Mesa's policies. and frankly, I don't care. I personally don't believe that a manufacturer should dictate to a retailer what they "must" sell their products for...I believe that does violate the Fair Trade act. A retalier has the right to sell a product at a profit, and how much profit THEY dictate is fair for their business. If GC wants to sell it at 2000$ per unit, and consumers will pay that, then God Bless free enterprise! If GC wants to sell the product at a loss, then it should be GC's perogative, as well. I own a wholesale/retail distribution business, and if one of MY suppliers told me that I HAD to sell their product at a specific price, or lose their business, they'd have about .00015 seconds before I told them to shove off, and I'd dump their product line quicker than goose crap through a tin horn (to quote George C. Scott :D )!

Sorry...I'm a dyed-in-the-wool believer in FREE enterprise, not regulated enterprise...

....presently stepping off of the soapbox....

11. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I just called my next local GC who does have it, and they now no longer carry it. They would have to call Mesa and see if they can still work out a deal. The price was $949. Back to retail prices again.
    It sucks when they place you get great deals at doesn't carry the stuff that you really want to get.
    You made a steal on the mesa, but you probably weren't actuallya looking for it before you got there. I stumble across good deals all the time, but I can't plan it.
    Wes

12. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ

:hyper: Whoa!!!! Where is this GC??

Keepers Music here in town is selling them for about $600...no bag :scowl:

13. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

The FAIR TRADE ACT?!?!? You've got to be kidding me. :rollno: Perhaps you should read up on what "free enterprise" really means or at least get a basic grasp on the term "contract." :meh:

So, if GC AGREES to Mesas pricing structure in a CONTRACT, and then undercuts the other dealers by selling below the agreed to price set up in that contract, it's Mesa who has the problem. The retailer has the rights that are expressed in the contract from when they became a dealer for the product.

Riiiiiiight....

Sounds to me like you simply got the better of a dumba$$ sales rep who sold you a FLOOR MODEL at a FLOOR MODEL price, and then you got them to give you the same deal on a NIB Walkabout.

14. realdeal

realdeal Banned

Dec 10, 2004
    Jaco, you "scored", & that's great. WalkAbouts are nice!

However, that's a result of the GC staff not following policy(screwing up?), and even if the deal were eventually discovered in their accounting, no big deal, they would write if off (...or fire the salesman!).

That was the exception, though, & Mesa is absolutely serioius about their price policy and I understand they have pulled Dealerships who don't abide by it.

I've bought NOS Mesa gear at a discount, but even the Discount is controlled by Mesa.

Personally, I find it refreshing that a company maintains consistent pricing- Their product is very good, it's worth what they charge, and IMO it is not overpriced.

I understand your feelings about free enterprise, and as a business owner, it would be your choice not to carry Mesa gear if it were offered to you.

PS: Wow---the gigbag TOO! ~~ :D

15. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    It's crap through a goose, not a tin horn.

16. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    I stand corrected, sir. :D
    God, I love that movie!

17. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    You do, huh? I have never seen it actually, but that didn't stop me from doing this.

18. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China

Bassmonkee,
    I don't want to get into a pissing match about this. Check your tone. I have been signing checks ON THE FRONT, not the back, or the better part of ten years, and in the process, successfully satisfying the terms of HUNDREDS of contracts. I'm 35 and financially independent,s o I think I have a handle on it. If you can truthfully say the same, then great.

If Mesa tells their dealers that they MUST sell their product ata certain price point, then that's Mesa'a business. If GC signed it, then it is GC's responsibility to live up to it, unless there is a clause in the contract that allows them to blow out inventory when a certain period of time elapses after the merchandise has sat on the floor for enough time. Car dealers do this every year at the end of the model year. I DO NOT know if this is the case or not with GC and Mesa, and like I said, I really don't care. As the consumer, it is acceptable to negotiate the price of a product. Did I score? Yep. I bought the amp from the manager of the guitar department. If he chose to "violate" whatever terms are supposedly in place, then so be it.
    I simply disagree with the concept of the manufacturer setting the selling price to the dealer.

19. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I just called the local shop. The walkabout scout is $1100, and the head alone is $950. Mesa raised their prices in 2005, and the demo model of the combo has been sitting there for a few months. $150 difference. I wonder what the new scout goes for? That seems like a lot for that combo, but it's a better deal than a new head.
    GC got shut down for mailordering.
    Wes

20. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    The shop in my area charges $1200 for the 12" combo...not sure how much the new 15" goes for