1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does Mesa make an all tube bass pre-amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by litlock123, Apr 19, 2010.

1. litlock123

litlock123

Jul 10, 2009
    I've been tryin to find one forever. Something similar to the mesa bass400+. But i only want the pre. Does anyone know? Or even an all tube pre similar to that amp. Thanks guys:bassist:

2. Attack Sunfish

Attack Sunfish

Apr 3, 2010
    Hello,
    Try to find a Mesa Boogie V-Twin. I can't remember how it sounded with a bass, my brother has one for his guitar, but thermionic tubes are stupid and don't know whether or not a guitar or bass is plugged into them. It has two 12AX7s.

3. litlock123

litlock123

Jul 10, 2009
    hmm im pretty sure those are 2 channel pres for guitar... maybe it would sound good for bass? idk haha. Im also wonderin if the mesa heads have built in compression... i forget :rollno:

4. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    There is the old Mesa Studio pre it has switchable channels and a built in
    reverb and bass mid treble + switchable five band graphic eq and various fat/bright switches.
    Its a well built unit with very good signal to noise.
    Sounds great on bass. There is no compressor in a 400+, Well!, apart from the usual all tube and big output transformer natural compression.:ninja:

5. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    The V Twin was a great pre amp for bass. I had the pedal version and used it al the time for bass and acoustic guitar. It was one one of those "I should have never sold it" items!

6. oldrockerdude

oldrockerdude

Jan 16, 2010
    Indiana
    Peavey Made a Really Good One for Bass.

7. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    pretty sure myung used the triaxis for a long time..

8. DizzyExiled

DizzyExiled

Jan 22, 2010
    Chico, Ca
    I snagged up a V-twin pedal from a yardsale for $40 (yes I almost squeeked when i saw the price tag, didn't even bother to attempt to be an ******* and haggle.) Works perfectly w/ only a couple minor cosmetic flaws. It's built like a tank.

Running my LB-70 through it, a crown power amp, and into my Mesa 215 sounds insanely punchy on the overdrive selection, creamy on the blues and crisp on the clean.

Trying a variety of tubes, grooves, Mesas, no-name imports, fender all tweaks the tone a bit, still trying to find the best balance.

9. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    It also has plenty of silicon devices in it, making it not even close to being all tube. ;)

10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I have one: the one and only BassTriaxis prototype. It's pretty rad. No, you can't have one.

[​IMG]

11. litlock123

litlock123

Jul 10, 2009
    dude that things sickkk haha. So is the v twin gonna be punchy enough for bass?

12. mcr23

mcr23

Apr 15, 2010
    MOTHER...OF...GOD

I have a BOOGIE 295 Poweramp in my guitar rig and I could just immagine how much it would cost to re-tube a Strategy 500. ;)

Those things are MONSTERS. I bet you can tear a hole in the universe with one of those if you tried hard enough :oops:

13. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    It doesn't cost me anything to re-tube it: Mesa gives me tubes for free.

And yes, I've torn several holes in the universe over the years. You didn't notice?

14. I'm more impressed with the powerhouse jr. ....I wish I had bought one of those back in the day....

15. mcr23

mcr23

Apr 15, 2010

:bassist:

very nice. That has 4 6550s and 4 6L6s doesn't it?

16. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Mine does, yes - but you can run it with 12 6L6s if you like.