Does monitor/tv damage speakers?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Phat Ham, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I have my stereo, a tv, and a couple monitors all on the same desk. Will the monitors or tv damage the speakers in any way from being so close to each other?
  2. odie

odie Supporting Member

Actually its the opposite. The speakers will effect the tv. It will make the screen turn blue etc. But it may or may not have a permanent effect.
  3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    well i haven't noticed any color changes so I guess I'm ok. Maybe the speakers are shielded. I don't know.
  4. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I believe that generally a distance of about 3 feet should keep your monitors safe. I should add that this does not apply to all speaker types. Maybe someone can help us fill in the gaps.
  5. The magnetic fields from speakers can screw with your monitor. It happens pretty much instantaneously and it is easily reversible. If they're pretty small speakers, the magnetic fields won't be strong enough to affect the monitor. If it does happen, all you need to do to fix it is wave a degausser in front of it. This restores the monitor to normal. You can get a degausser from an AV rental shop or probably a stereo shop for a minimal rental or you could just bring the monitor to somwhere with a degausser. It takes about 5 seconds to do.
  6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I found out the hard way. :) I had my pratice amp on the counter neck to the TV & my wife ask's what the hell is happening to the TV? I didn't know. As I moved the amp away, I noticed the TV going back to normal. It was alittle messed up for a few months but went back to normal.:eek: