1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does Monster make a 4 conductor speakon cable?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Skrapmetal, May 5, 2010.

1. Skrapmetal

Skrapmetal

May 2, 2010
    Iowa
    I see a half a dozen different Monster speakon cable's, but not a single desription says how many conductors it has. I've only been able to find one brand of four conductor (Whirlwind), and I haven't found any websites I know well enough to send my money to...

2. the_man_dan

the_man_dan

Jun 25, 2009
  3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Make your own and use this stuff:

http://www.audioquest.com/

Go to: Custom Install>CL3 Speaker Cables>Flexible Series

They make two different 4 conductor cables. I have a few sets I made with this wire.

4. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    Speakon cables are easy to make. You need some 12 gauge speaker wire and a small screw driver. Twist the back cover to remove it, slide it onto the cable, strip about a 1/4" of insulation from the wire, twist the strands together, push them into the small hole +1 (positive) -1 (negative) and tighten the screw, put the plastic retainer around the cable between the main part of connector and the back cover then twist the back cover onto the front head. Note: the black retainer will squeeze down on the cable to secure it in place.
    That is it in a nut shell. Note: you only need two wires for normal cabs and 4 wires if biamping like used on a GK700 RBII amp and cab where the +1 and -1 feed the woofer and the +2 and -2 feed the tweeter horn. Some GK cabs are wired in this manner. Others may not be and would just use the +1 and -1 for both the woofer and tweeter.
    http://www.crownaudio.com/pdf/amps/126986.pdf

5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
  6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
  7. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    There is one thing I have found a few years back that makes a difference. The gauge of wire. I forgot that tidbit and noticed my very low end of my 15" speaker was somewhat woofy and less distinct. As I went to do some repairs on one of my cables I noticed I had the 6ft 14 gauge cable that came with my GK700 RBII amp hooked to my 1x15" speaker cab. I swapped it with the repaired the 3 foot 12gauge cable I made (from two conductor speaker wire)and now I get deep, distinct, kicking lows that I remembered in the past. I use my 14 gauge cable to power my 6.5" mid and two Eminence Pro Horns now.

8. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    This is why self powered speakers are so much better.
    The amps right in the box. No external cable at all to mess things up.
    :bag:

9. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Really? How do you get signal and AC to the cab then?

10. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Induction.

11. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Induction is the low-fidelity method, but for true high fidelity you use informational fields.

12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I've been using this 4-conductor speaker wire:

http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=546

It's worked for me perfectly with Speakons and is quick and fairly easy to do yourself (no soldering). It's a little more difficult for me because I use it for non-biamped operation though...I double up the reds & whites...high wattage shouldn't be a problem.