Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does MTV Know theory?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mikey96, Feb 12, 2001.

1. Ok everyone im about to embark on "formal" bass lessons in April once school is out, to expand my craft and enhance my songwriting capabilities, anywayz if anyone has any ideas or knowledge about how much theory-knowledge of their bass -and how to write songs u think the following artists have it would be much appreciated, because I am curious to have a ballpark range of how much I need to know to write some decent simple punk-rock songs, also I would like your honest opinions on if u would call them "talented" bassists. I dont like all of these bassists (especially fieldy)

1. Mark Hoppus from Blink 182

2. Fieldy from Korn

3. Mike Dirnt from Green Day

4. Fat Mike from Nofx

5. Greg K from Offspring

Thank u!

2. Reid

Reid

Aug 25, 2000
    Oakville, Ontario
    1, 3, 4 and 5 have probably just spent a decade or two noodling around on the bass, and learned that way. No comment on 2.

3. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Fieldy? What is it with this guy?

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

3,4, and 5 are pretty cool.

I think that they are unschooled, but the result is pretty cool.

And no, MTV definitely doesn't know theory.

5. Not trying to start a flame war, but taking lessons will not teach you how to write a simple punk rock song. The best thing you could do is just play your axx off with like minded people and learn as many of your favorite songs as possible.

And FWIW, Mike Dirnt and Fat Mike are two reasonably talented guys who write pretty good parts.

6. I dont know, I think it will help, I will learn to write a bridge and stuff, and what clicks, it couldnt hurt right, I bet most of those guys took lessons for a few months, actually maybe they didnt. Thanks for the feedback guys, keep it coming!

7. and i quote Mark Hoppus on their new live cd "You know, now that i think about it, i really should of taken bass lessons"

as said above, all of them basically just noodle around on their basses and what sounds good they put in songs.

but for fieldy, he probably just randomly slaps stuff and he hopes they sound ok.

8. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    USA
    taking lessons cant hurt you, so why not? i say go for it, if you have the oppurtunity to take some from a decent teacher at a reasonable price then definetly do it, it could help you out. as for those bassists, i think dirnts pretty decent, i always thought his longview line was pretty nice

9. I think for like six posts we're doin great for our new lets avoid bashing fieldy policy :)

10. One of the best ways to write songs would be to get together with a GITarist and maybe a drummer, work out a couple of riffs and play them together and if it works you have a "simple punk rock song". Athough the added help of theory would help get your songs sounding a little bit more interesting as you could get some blanket scales or something over what the GITarist is playing. Look at it this way you can never know to much!

11. i like mike dirnt a lot. you don't need to know tons of theory for punk, but learning a scale or two would be good. if you listen to bands like green day enough, you'll get the idea. "minority" is a great line.

12. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    A teacher can't hurt @ all-i plan on taking lessons this summer. I'm in a slump right now & realizing that half of the stuff i used to play doesn't sound right since now i'm working @ half the volume. I feel weak-time to learn some covers ;) :D

13. I may be off base with this a little but I think if you study theory you may not be writing very many punk songs. IMO theory makes you worry too much about the right or wrong way to look at music. I took one year of theory at school and did very well in it but it took some of the fun out of just listning to a song and enjoying it just like it was written. Just a thought.

14. smpbass

smpbass

Feb 2, 2001
    Tampa, FL
    I like the line for Longview. And I have to agree with jbplayer

15. TT

TT

Feb 14, 2001
    they all suck :)

16. Greg K. kicks azz, man! Actually, none of them are "good" bass players in my opinion, but at least Greg K. doesn't play just root notes.

17. (notice how nothing was said about matt freeman)
    :D