Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does music ever feel too consuming...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by dabshire, Sep 2, 2003.

1. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    So I was just curious to see what your thoughts on this might be.

Does music ever seem too all consuming in your life?

If you're anything like me, music, and bass playing, is a real passion, one that can take up most of my waking hours if I let it. I have many other responsibilities and relationships (Wife, kids, job, my faith) that also require time, and are extremely important, and sometimes I find it hard to strike a balance in all the areas of my life.

Just curious if any of you have these issues, and how you keep the passion in check.

Don

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    i am always listening to music when i am at home, but thats not something that occupies your attention, its just, on. I play bass probsbly 1-2 hours a day , more during band practice. I dont have a problem with it taking my time away from other things. I play tennis almost daily.

3. Being a musician, it's natural for music to take up a great deal of your time, whether it's playing or just listening to it.

4. Wow dabshire, you read my mind.

I was just thinking that very same thing, about how it is difficult to strike a balance with music & all of life's important things .... my family and job and such. I look at my current "to do " list for the band and between learning new material, clubowners calling & requesting open gig dates, contacting bandmembers, reconfiguring our PA, buying a new poweramp, etc...

Yes, it is extremely time consuming. I try to keep the balance by not gigging every damn weekend, not gigging out of town, not rushing to learn new songs all the time. One time-consuming problem is having bandmembers who are short-lived. Searching for replacement bandmembers (and reconfiguring songlists as needed) is a huge time consumer.:meh:

Bandmember consistency, and moderation in gig frequency, really helps us family guys...

:)

5. I make sacrifices for the music... I choose not to have a girlfriend because I know she'd want at least a good chunk of my bass time for herself. I sleep less than I should. I spend money on nothing other than the essentials (food, beer, rent, gear). Not a lifestyle I'm likely to be able to retain and sometimes I think it's a little unbalanced, but for now it works.

6. You can't maintain a balance and also excel at something. Choose.

7. I agree a good balance is really helpful when it comes to writing music, there's just more things to draw inspiration from.

8. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    the only thing that i would really have to take time out of playing is for my girlfriend (well as of right now none..but i choose). but i have always explained to them that music is a big part of my life, and that it is my life goal to make a living of music and with that dedication i don't her to feel not loved or left out.

but the best thing to do is to find a girl that plays also. ;)

steve