Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does music "Run in your blood"?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by PollyBass, Jun 25, 2003.

1. It "Runs in my blood"

44 vote(s)
    63.8%
  2. Nope, I'm the only one.

25 vote(s)
    36.2%
  1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Hey there guys. This is not a "MUSICAL GREATNESS IS ONLY IF YOU HAVE IT PASSED ON FROM YOUR PARENTS AND BLAH BLAH BLAH".

But if music DOES run in your family, it seems your more inclined to it.

My grandfather and his brothers used to have their own bluegrass band that was on a local radio show every week. (My family has "GUITAR EGO" syndrome. I always have said if there is 1 guitar in a room and 5 hughes((Last Name)) then 4 are going to be killed by blunt force trama) One of their "Gimmicks" was to hold one of the brothers by the legs and let him play the "fiddle" upside down. My uncle used to play guitar for a living in a hotel, my great great uncle sung irish tunes and won a free set of tires, the GRAND PRIZE back in the day, on a national radio show. My dad has never been that nice to me, and it was just recently I found out he was first chair violin at his school. He was offered 3 music ...uh....SKA LUR SHIPS (I just woke up. So screw me.) to major colleges. He then got the 3rd rarest form of Psoritic Arthrites when he turned 23. So he is unable to play anything, due to the massive amounts of pain in his fingers. The thing that sparked all this was the fact I was taking down my dads violin from his closet today(going on a short vacation, have to turn of the air, and he doesn't want it in the humidity)and wondering why he was always touchy about it. He never liked to talk about music with me, ever. I thought it was weird that he never pushed me to be in music, I just wanted to. But it seemed like someone so into music would try and push his son into music.

Yesterday, as I watched him try to play,(his illness has warped his neck, he walks with a hunch, and he is always looking toward the ground, if he likes it or not, thats the way his bones formed, and he can't lift his arms above a 15 degree angle) I understood how important music is to me, I don't care why it is, I just know it is. With every single move he grimmiced in pain, and then I understood the pain of loosing your ability to play music. He just looked around and said, "Take this" with water in his eyes. He got up, went over to the TV, and started watching it. I just stood there, holding the violin.

I don't know how asking if music ran in your blood evolved into this, but just go with it!

Not really bragging or anything. Just how music is in your "blood".

I guess i'll make a poll. Polls are cool.

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I can't say that I'm the only one. My father and my youngest brother are both excellent and well rounded musicians (although I'm not sure about further back down the family tree).

However, I think a lot of it has to do with the opportunities we get as much as it does with our genetics. If my dad didn't have an old Hofner electro-acoustic bass around the house when I was about 14, I might have taken up guitar instead. If I'd been adopted into a family where the big thing was playing sports, maybe that would have become my thing instead.

So, although I've had to vote 'runs in the blood' since the other option isn't true for me, I still think 'nurture' outweighs 'nature' by a significant amount.

Wulf

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I agree, this was not ment to be a "Your only good if it runs in your blood" thread, just wondering if it does.

4. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    Everybody in my family is(was)tone deaf.And I'm a Univ.music grad.Go figure.

5. i had to say no, music doesn't run in my blood at all, my parents played the clarient in high school, but can't do it ne more and were never very good or so i've been told, my brothers both tired music and hated it, one played trumpet, the other sax, i'm the only one who likes playing music in the family

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Nope - I'm the only one in my family remotely interested in music. Nobody played an instrument and they don't even appreciate or listen to it very much. However, previous generations were very much caught up with World War and hence opportunites were limited.

So my Father's parents both died before he was 11 as a result of WWI and my Father and Mother's education was interrupted by WWII and subsequent conflicts - my Mother's Father was interested in music but was blinded and disabled by War.

I think current generations are very lucky in that we have been able to follow our passions and we should take the chance we have and be very grateful!!

PS Polls are not cool! ;)

7. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yup, in my case, it does run in the family.

My dad has 4 brothers - all of which (including my dad) are/were musical. In fact I'm in two bands with the youngest of his 4 brothers. His mum and dad were musical too.

My mum used to play the piano, I believe, but she doesn't anymore - but both her brother and her sister played/play instruments. But, my mum's dad made a living as a composer! We're still getting royalty cheques from things he composed in the 50s or so.

8. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Ok I'll play...

Maternal Grandfather was a pub singer (died 1965)
    Paternal Grandfather was a pub pianist (died 1989)

Father played piano in his youth
    Mother still plays

Brother was singer/guitarist/pianist (died in 1986)

Daughter can play flute, drums and basic keyboards but doesnt

Eldest son plays a bit of keys and bass and was a drummer in a punk band (played one school 'gig'). Has drumm lessons at school.

Youngest son did grade 1 snare, plays kit and basic keys.

Although I started them young (boys were 6 and 8 when they started playing drums) I'm not a pushy parent. That's probably more than you wanted.

9. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    My family wasn't overly musical.. But there was always music around..

My father is from Ponce P.R. so I grew up listening to lots of latin music.. Salsa, Meringue, Latin Jazz. etc.. Listening to this I feel helped me develop a good sense of rhythm. He was also a big Motown fan so there was lots of that being played as well as other music from the 50s and 60s.. (I loves me some Marvin Gaye!! Let's get it on!!). I still listen to all these styles today..

My mom can't play the radio, but her brother was a country singer of some modest success.. Every 4th of July there would be music at the family gatherings.. I remember he let me borrow his Gibson 1950 era Dovetail acoustic to practice on. That was a sweet guitar!!

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Outside of having Gary "US" Bonds as a cousin, and my cousin Sidney playing keys in Brick, there are no more musically inclined folks in my family. My dad once told me that when I was a young 'un, he was always amazed at the fact that I can hear song once, and by the time I'd heard it a second time, I'd know the words. He also told me that sometimes, intead of singing the lyrics, I'd hum the basslines to songs. My brother was an excellent singer, but he did nothing with it. No talent shows, groups, or anything of that sort. I have to give my dad and his thousands of record albums credit for my musical development. As long as I put them back, I was free to listen to any of them, which led to my lifelong worship of E,W,&F, Marvin Gaye, Steely Dan, Zep, Roy Ayers, and Parliament/Funkadelic.

11. Man, I feel for your dad.:(

I had a great grandfather who played drums professionally, it was neat to visit with him about the good ole’ days and the bands he was in. My mother played piano as a hobby for about 15-20 years off and on, she encouraged me to pursue piano. Very glad I did. Had a grandfather who played banjo, never got to meet him, but stories tell that he was quite good and loved to play. My brother has been playing drums for about 17 years, we've been in school bands together, and had a working band for about a year. We play street fair gigs and such, 1 or 2 per year, even today.

Bass? No influence really, but I’m thankful that my parents were encouraging and helpful when I got my first bass / amp, and with the time I spent practicing. :)

Good thread, Polly.

12. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    yes

my dad plays drums and
    my (late) uncle played bass

13. ...my dad plays harmonica....

actually my parents are the type of people who believe that music broadens the mind so made me pay piano for ever, thne i bought a bass with babysitting money at are 12 and havent stopped.
    but they never relaly played instruments at all. my grandapa taught my dad harmonica and my dad used to play when he was in teh army tahts all...
    -shoonk

14. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Nothing on my mom's side..On my dad's side, my grandfather played violin and guitar, and my dad plays: Guitar, violin, mandolin, bass, banjo, harmonica, steel guitar, keyboards, and sings. All of these well enough to play studio sessions and record albums, plus play live gigs.

Here's something interesting, too. Both my dad and I have failed every music class we've ever taken in school.

15. I guess so, my grandfather had once taught himself violin&piano, but he quit now, my mother plays flute and piano and my father acoustic guitar. My half-sister is a folk-rock singer, my brother plays guitar and used to play violin.
    I guess you know what I play (and I used to play cello)

But what lies even more in my blood is a certain aptitude for physics,math,computer science etc.

16. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I don't believe anybody in my recent family history was musical at all (parents, grandparents, and from what i've heard about the great-grandparents)

The only other person in my family who does anything musical is my cousin in chiago (6 or so years younger)

17. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

My grandfather played with Charlie Mingus and Stan Getz among others...almost everyone in my family on my Dad's side is a musician of some sort...

18. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    a lot of people except my parents played music. heck! i play my great grandmas 175 year old violin!a lot of my family plays violin.. my cousin plays bass, eeeh, just goofs around with it i think. nothing exciting...

19. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    My grampa played Western Swing guitar for a while in the dark ages. My Stepdad lured my mom by playing guitar for her. My half brother marched in a DCI drum and bugle corps. Jimmie and Stevie Ray Vaughan are allegedly (very)distant cousins but I have to have it explained to me while looking at a family tree to figure out what kind of cousins they are.

My wifes coolest and most interesting cousin is an amazing Jazz guitarist and fiddler named Slim Richey. If you live near Austin check him out. His current singer in "Slim Richey's Dream Band" looks like Bettie Page. Wow. She sounds good too.

20. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I don't know about any musical things about anyone higher up than my grandparents but here it goes.

Mom's Side:
    Grandpa-Banjo & a Bit of guitar-doesn't play anymore [farmer]
    Mom-used to play piano
    Cousin-Guitar

Dad's Side:
    Grandma-Sax-i think Alto, played in Dance Bands, made a good chunk of money for a weekend gig.
    Dad-Played Guitar, Fife, & sax
    Uncle-Bass & Guitar-has a MINT/Better than mint ALL ORIGINAL 70's P-Bass in Candy Apple Red, along with a similar year Strat in the same condition, recently got a custom MTD 5 [i think-haven't saw it], family bought him a $5400 LP, is considering a StingRay so he can slap :ninja: my dad said i have to make a trip to my uncle's house.
    Cousin1-Bass & Drums, gave me my first bass lesson
    Cousin2-Guitar
    Cousin3-Sax
    Aunt-Drummer-no longer plays

My Sister-Baritone/Euphonium, is a Music Ed Major @ Butler.
    ME-Bass Guitar, String Bass, Cello, Guitar, mediocre drumset, and even worse keyboard. Right now i'm thinking Music Performance @ St. Joe's or DePauw.

That's all