1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does musical skill correlate directly with laziness?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ElectroVibe, Sep 19, 2019.

1. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    Discuss.

Ellery likes this.
  2. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Ok.

I have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about, or where you’re going with this.

tondogg162, red_rhino, Mili and 23 others like this.
  3. .

DJ Bebop, SactoBass, rufus.K and 2 others like this.
  4. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    Just look at the culture of musicians. They like to party and play music. They are all like, what else is there?

Sex, drugs, and rock and roll!

Maybe I'm just speaking for myself. But I like the nerve I am hitting in myself. I wish I had thought more about this when I was younger.

5. Guitalia

Guitalia

Jun 7, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    "hit/strike/touch a nerve: to make someone feel angry, upset, embarrassed, etc."

Does literacy correlate directly with laziness?

6. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    I'm glad that I have struck a nerve. I haven't been this happy in a long time.

Nashrakh likes this.
  7. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    I'm lazy ABOUT my music. I'd be a much better bassist and overall musician if I would put the work into it. I use software and tabs and such when I get stuck learning a new song. It's easier than working it out myself. And while I can read music (after a fashion), I've never put in the time or effort to get better at sight reading. It IS fun and I think I just don't like making "work" out of it. That being said, I don't think I'm an inherently lazy person. I've been busting my @55 at the same place for over 30 years, mostly on the night shift, and I work a ton of overtime. Up until the last couple of years the job I did was physically demanding. I also spent five years in the Navy which taught me a lot about self-discipline. I have a pretty good work ethic for work. I guess you have to be a little more clear about what exactly you're asking. I guess if I had to evaluate myself, I'm somewhat lazy about my music, but not in the rest of my life.

Sonicfrog, Ellery, seansbrew and 3 others like this.
  8. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    I think it's good to be lazy about music, the way that you say. Maybe this will help to show where I am coming from:
    When I was very young someone told me that musicians were not good people. Flat out. Or something to that effect. I was kind of surprised to discover later that this wise person had been a musician during his youth. I never would have guessed that about him. But he put that all behind him at some point.

I never understood it until now. Not that I would do something so drastic myself. But I respect his choice because there are few people I have respected more than him. Personally I can at least choose to live a more balanced life, while keeping music a part of it. I'm speaking to myself mainly. Working out these new thoughts.

9. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    Well THAT piece of "wisdom" is unadulterated BS. Some of the best people I know are musicians, as well as some of the worst.

GreyMark, HolmeBass, GregC and 2 others like this.
  10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    If people are going to talk behind my back they shouldn't do it right in front of me.

And with that being said... I think I get what @ElectroVibe is talking about. The best musicians back in the 70s were perceived as being lazy, good for nothing losers. They played their guitars, made no money, got high, and closed out the rest of the world.

I think its still the same, there's just so many less musicians around for it to create the stigma :) . Plus, playing an instrument today is a very high step above becoming a champ at a video game.

And @Guitalia - that was funny.

11. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    He didn't word it that strongly, nor was it directed towards me. But he was concerned about someone getting into a relationship with a professional musician. It definitely puts a light on people who I look at as being full time musicians.

I respect Paul McCartney and Kenny G, just to take two example. They are both using their natural gifts. They are both extremely creative. And they both appeal to mass audiences, perhaps even people who some would look their noses down upon for having such poor and pedestrian taste. But I think the average person actually lives a more balanced life than some creative types.

I also know many MANY creative people who are hardworking as well. Their artistic creativity is like a special gift.

biguglyman likes this.
  12. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    This made me think about Syd Barrett. He was the main inspiration behind Pink Floyd's the Wall. I always get a little worried whenever I hear someone giving praise to musicians like that. As if their craziness were somehow overlooked due to the fact that they were eccentric and talented.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  13. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I very much think you are.

Or at the very least you’re painting with an overly broad brush and speaking more like some non musicians I’ve heard speak rather than as a musician.

So may I ask where you’re going with this?

ak56 and biguglyman like this.
  14. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I don't know. They come in all varieties. I certainly know a lot of musicians I would describe as lazy, but actually none as being party animals.

I am more of an overachiever myself. If anything, I am giving myself too much of a hard time if I don't get where I want to be.

15. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    I am also looking at the overall person (myself). Is it better to burn out and die young (Hendrix, Cobain) or to live a balanced life and endure (Neil Young, Paul McCartney).

16. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    I also get a little worried when I hear people praising John Lennon. I'm not even going to go into the reasons. But I'll just say that I see him as being a prideful person, regardless of his talent.

I know that THIS is not going to offend anyone. (Right)

17. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    By the way, this could apply to many other occupations. It could even apply to people who are ambitious and want to make a lot of money when they are young. Why? Because their goal is to retire early and have fun.

18. iTzPrime

iTzPrime

May 30, 2016
    Being a professional musician is one of the hardest jobs I know. Constant creativity, touring and practice is required. Just because there are a few outliers doesn't mean it is true for everyone.
    You speak of paul mccartney, yet he was known - and still is to be quite a hard worker.

ElectroVibe, sotua and EdO. like this.
  19. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I’d guess there’s weak positive correlation.

20. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Praising his work is not praising his as an individual. Most of the praise for Barrett's solo music (I owned it all, heard it all) is misplaced, it's really not very good. His rep is 100% based on the first Floyd album and the singles from that period. A lot of the fascination is like Hendrix...what could Syd have accomplished if he hadn't become mentally ill?

Anyway, Syd wasn't lazy, he was sick...so get back OT :whistle: