1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does my Amp/Cab Volume really matter?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RickenbackerGuy, Feb 6, 2016.

1. RickenbackerGuy

RickenbackerGuy

Aug 27, 2015
    Ok, so I have some smaller combo amps that I use for small gigs, but my main rig is a TC BH800 head with an Ampeg SVT810E cab. I just picked up this new setup recently and have yet to take it out with me to a gig. My question is, Does the 800 watt capability of my rig truly matter? At larger gigs I'll be going through the PA anyways and I'll pretty much be using the cab as a stage monitor. The tone of the 810 is perfect for my tastes, no problem with that whatsoever. I just know the amp isn't crazy powerful unless I turn it up pretty high.

I know that TC gets killed a little bit around here because of their power ratings, but does it really matter if I'm running through the PA?

Thanks

2. Raf Seibert

Raf Seibert

Dec 16, 2013
    Texas
    No. You'll be fine with what you've got. That watt number on your 810 does mean anything more than the highest number on your speedometer, a limit not to be exceeded.

Raf

3. In my case, I have four people on stage with me who really like to hear the bass in that stage volume -- it makes me no never mind, because my ears are plugged up with in-ear monitors anyway.