Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does my bass need a fret-job?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by B8ssMan89, Nov 2, 2004.

1. okay, here's the story.
    I have an alverez 4 string (cant remember the model)
    I had it for 3 years. I took real good care of it, took it to get set-up every 6 months, changed strings whenever I could, cleaned it all the time. But now, on the 14th fret on the D string it makes this outragiously loud buzz noise, thats all it does. So, I was talking to my uncle (he's a bass masta) and he says sounds like you need a fret-job. So I decided to look at the frets, they look uneven at the top. But my fear is, that fret-jobs will cost alot of money!
    Does anyone know an average price for a fretjob is? If its really expensive, I"m just ganna de-fret it, and turn it into a fretless

2. A single buzzing fret is not, in and of itself, a sign of an impending fret job. It could be simply that the 14th has sprung up and needs a little coaxing with a fret hammer back down in the slot.

Grooves, notches, flat spots, gouges, nicks, etc. probably ARE a good sign of needing a fretjob but even then, some instruments play really well with these conditions. It's weird.

Have your neck checked out by a Luthier - not just a tech. He can assess the situation better. A competent fretjob will run upwards of $200 with variations for extensive leveling of the fretboard or repairs that might be needed.

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I had a bass like that! My Peavey RSB, it was about 10 years old, and every fret had little nicks in them, flat spots on the tops and one even had a chunk missing. I honestly couldn't tell at all, it still played and sounded just fine. I eventually had to take it in for a fret job when a fret decided to move vertically on the fretboard, sticking out at the end and slicing a finger wide open once. If that hadn't happened, I doubt I would've ever gotten a fretjob. It cost me about $150 total, as the luthier ended up replacing alltogether I think 7 frets and reset the rest dandy :D.

Ray

4. My frets are not in the neck, thier like compressed on top of the fretboard. In better words, my frets are not the ones with teeth, that are kinda in the fretboard. Mine are mounted on top.
    I hope this gives more info

Also, the noise isnt bad when I play through an amp. I just have to be extra carefull not to pluck it too hard. Which won't matter since I'm not a hard hitting player

5. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Sounds like a lifted fret to me.

Some careful and quick work with a padded C clamp
    and clean application of super glue would do the trick.

Or have a Pro do it for you.

6. Do you have glued on frets?

That is a rare thing. You should take it to a qualified Luthier for repair. Call them first and see if they have experience with this type of fret system.