Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does my bass sound fine to you?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Frugle, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Frugle

Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    It's a 2001 MIM Jazz BTW.

so here is my thing, I don't have 40 bucks to get it setup right now, I plan to in the future, but there are other things I need more than a professional setup.

so... I've been trying to do it myself (don't you hate it when people do that?)

but I was just wondering, does my bass sound right to you? here is a clip, run through guitar rig, full neck pickup, no tone, no bridge PU.

http://www.frugled.com/Music/bass.mp3
    (I appologize for the sloppy playing... please ignore and listen to the bass....lol I know its hard. I was just trying to find something that used all 4 strings... and then guitar rig freaked out in the middle and jumped around.....etc. etc.)

Now, my question is, why does my C# on my first string (G) sound the way it does? It is the only note on my bass that I have found that sounds bad.. I have no buzz anywhere, but on my C# on that string, (no buzz anywhere above the 12th either :) )

my first inclanation was the action was to low, so I made it higher, but I've almost got my action as far up as the jazz bridge will go.... (see picture)

Second, I thought about the fret, maybe it needed to be reshaped, but it looks fine to me (see second pic)

any suggestions?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Frugle

Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    actually, after further analysis, it sounds bad from the Bb all the way to the C#........what would cause that? it's only on that section of the G string.

3. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I would try another string just on gp.

You have already made a serious mistake by adjusting anything until you understand the mechanics of set up.

Check the stickies at the top of the forum for some good explanations of the procedure.

4. Frugle

Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    I knew that was going to be said :)

I do know what I'm doing.. as much as I could from the stickies at the top and from friends... I'm not one to touch anything without researching first.

but thanks for your concern :)

5. Frugle

Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    going on 3 weeks now I think.. Boomer light-mediums.

going by how expensive strings are I wanted that to be the last thhing I tried :p I'm going to play at a camp for 2 weeks starting the 18th, so I was going to wait till somewhere around the 15th before I replace them :)

I know the setup is correct on my bass.. people I trust have messed around with it and said its fine, there is nothing wrong with the setup...

6. Frugle

Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    mkay, is it bad to replace just one string out of the 4?

I've been told by some it's not good, but I don't trust those some...

does the sound clip above sound about right for a MIM Jazz?

Anyways, thanks for the responce!

7. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    If you saved the old strings, you may want to try reinstalling the old string temporarily to see if the symptoms change.

I didn't mean to infer that you didn't know what you were doing but there is a huge difference between actually doing a routine setup and diagnosing a setup problem.
    If your setup is truly OK, the only thing left is the string or faulty technique. The latter is highly unlikely.

Something to consider is the fact that the only way anyone can help you is for you to furnish complete and relevant info and problem descriptions.

First and foremost is to never make an adjustment just to see if it might fix the problem unless you absolutely know that you can return to the exact original setting. Otherwise you may end up with the original problem plus the one you create by unneed adjustment.

first off, Your description of the prob does not indicate that you have a string heigth problem. String heigth probs generally occur at one end or the other on the F.B. Since your prob starts at the 3rd fret and ends at the 6th fret, you can, for the moment, forget bridge saddle heigth or neck relief.

a high fret(s) would affect more than just the G string. It would certainly also affect the D string and probably all the strings at that fret position.

Remember that setup diagnosis and the actual setup procedure are two altogether different animals.

Good luck with your prob.

8. Frugle

Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Thanks! what it sounds like to me is the fret right after it is touching the string, giving it kind of a muted effect.

I count turns also, so that if something does go wrong with my change I can set it back...

it can't be faulty technique because its not random, no matter how I hold either fingers, or how hard I pluck, it always sounds the same..

9. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    It sounds like you are onto something now.

First let me make myself very clear. If I make a suggestion and it comes off as a terse way of speaking, please understand that it's not meant to sound that way. =)

Look very closely at the end of the fret on the G side if your bass doesnt have a bound neck, the best place to look is from the side. See if there is any raising of the fret. A good magnifying glass is a good idea. A fret can raise up in the slot by a minute amount and affect the mechanics a lot.

If everything looks good, check to see if there is a slight dent on the G string right over the suspect fret. You will have to loosen the string to see it because the dent will be on the under side of the string.A slight bump on the string can cause the dent.

Trust me on this one.Counting turns will not put you back where you started. Misadjust one truss rod by counting turns and you'll see what I mean. If you want to get back to yard one, you have to measure first and then duplicate that measurement to get back to where you started. It ain't rocket science but there are certain "rules of thumb".

Now, If I have you properly confused I'll just say good luck. =)

10. Frugle

Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    k, I'll take a look under a magnafine glass.

no I would never touch the truss rod, leave that to someone who knows what they are doing.. plus, mine seems fine anyways... none of the symptoms line up of it being out of wack.