Does my dream bass exist - a P bass with Jazz neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pedroyoyoma, Aug 7, 2022.

1. pedroyoyoma

pedroyoyoma

Jul 10, 2017
    Oakland, CA
    I'm thinking about doing a Warmoth build, but I want to check if something like this exists already.

I'm a die-hard Fender Jazz bass fan, but I want a second bass with that vintage Fender P-Bass sound. I hate P bass necks and don't love how they look, so I was going to make a Jazzmaster bass with a P pickup and a jazz neck.

Before I do, I'd be open to buying a bass with the following requirements:
    - has a jazz neck, preferably a modern C shape
    - isn't a P-Bass body
    - has a P bass pickup or something close (no PJ basses tho)

Does something like this exist? My budget would be $1400 max

groooooove and CallMeAl like this.
  2. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    You could look for a used Fender Mark Hoppus signature bass.

P.S. I believe it has a p neck, so not quite what you are looking for.

P.S. 2: You could configure a Maruszczyk bass. All ingredients you mention are in the configurator.

fender-mark-hoppus-jazz-bass-rw-sg.jpg

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
  3. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    I don't know your visual preferences, but I configured a bass for you here (unfortunately above your budget, but might be worth saving up for):

Home | Public Peace Customshop

Mopped B.png

4. Snert

Snert

Oct 3, 2021
    Just built what you want, because then you're getting what you want, not something close to it.

5. filler83

filler83

Jan 5, 2015
    Cleveland, OH
    Fender Reggie Hamilton signature jazz bass would be option. Has PJ config ok jazz body. But they don’t make them anymore and you would have to buy used

edit - sorry just saw you weren’t looking for a PJ

6. JES

JES Supporting Member

G&L lb-100 or SB-1 with #8 neck.

7. I have the original style mark hoppus bass and the neck is definitely more P than J, still still really coming comfortable from someone who prefers the j neck.
    Pickup is definitely more aggressive than standard. And apparently they go for a ton on the used market (I'm open to offers? :D)

If I were OP, I’d probably just buy a loaded P body and find a Jazz neck. Shouldn’t be too pricey.

Alessandro Cruz likes this.
  8. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Look for a Lakland 44-64 with a 1.50 taper neck or an older Skyline model 44-64 Custom. The older "Custom" models came with the P pickup and Jazz 1.50 neck. The newer "custom"s come with the PJ pup config. If you can find a 10-15 yr old Lakland Skyline 44-64 Custom it will be a P body with a J neck. They're awesome basses. And if you are willing to spend the bucks, just get a new 44-64 with the 1.50 neck option, and choose your finish.

cymbop, C Niz and Calebmundy like this.
  9. 58kites

58kites Save a life....adopt a Pitbull

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
    Peavey Fury 1986-1992 are all great years.
    The necks have the Jazz 1.5" nut width and the fretboard edges are rolled nicely.
    To me, the bodies are a slightly pointy version of a Precision, not as tubby looking.
    Guitar Center used has five available right now, they turn up there pretty regularly.
    Here are a couple of mine.
    IMG_20210617_134619368.jpg IMG_20210617_134640315_HDR.jpg IMG_20210617_141856563.jpg IMG_20210617_141916907.jpg

10. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    There are zillions of J neck P basses. Or make your own

11. David_70

David_70 Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2012
    CA2B75EE-69AA-469C-9C03-5A17A15A87A9.jpeg

I think you’re going to need to build. This is mine — just put a new J neck on my 75 P body.

Go to Reverb and type in Fender P-bass body and Fender Jazz neck. You’ll see many options sold ala carte. Also search the parts classifieds here, as people are always selling individual bodies and necks. You could go the Warmoth (in-stock deals) — or the AllParts route as you stated.

This is not an unpopular configuration – in fact there is a whole “club” on TB dedicated to this type of build.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
  12. MVE

MVE

Aug 8, 2010
    F1F0F824-4C38-4528-85CA-36A74E4D89FF.jpeg
    Carl Radle played a P with a J neck.
    Many others have as well…

13. SoulReflection

SoulReflection Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    Yep, I put a Jazz neck on my Player P and found it to be the best of both worlds :bassist:!

BBQisgood and David_70 like this.
  14. TheSeagoats

TheSeagoats

May 21, 2015
    Maryland
    We have a club, link here. Also, I had an old P bass laying around and I simply put a Mighty Mite jazz neck on it, works perfect.

15. Bassy Davy

Bassy Davy Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Squier CV 60's P bass has a jazz neck.

Attached Files:

16. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    The Lakland Duck Dunn model is a P with a J neck.

DaDo625, petch, jbasedig and 5 others like this.
  17. BobbyMacII

BobbyMacII

Dec 3, 2017
    I think the Squier Classic Vibe '60s Precision Bass has a 1.685" nut width, whereas the Jazz Bass has a 1.5" nut width.

18. Sharko

Sharko

Jun 18, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Almost any Jaguar bass (most are P/J) and disconnect the J pickup

19. erratick

erratick

Mar 2, 2014
    Lakland, Fender and Squier all have similar. It's a pretty common mod to put a jazz neck on a P-bass, Carl Radle etc.

I made one from a nice jazz neck from Reverb (MIM) and a P-bass body I picked up at a thrift shop (this will not always work, because of neck pockets, but this was a relatively modern Fender p-bass body. It's a fave of mine as I like jazz bass necks and a P sits in the mix.

20. Mike Vee

Mike Vee

Oct 8, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Nate Mendel P I am pretty sure

wizard65, patzilla83 and 70spbase like this.