1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does my Markbass Blackline 104HR Cab Suck?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LowStringNinja, Jan 13, 2016.

1. I added it to a 151HR six months ago and never ran it by itself until last night. It compliments the 1x15 well, and together they pump out a tight sound with plenty of low end...
    ...but to my surprise, what I got from it by itself was pretty depressing...even with the bass knob on the instrument cranked up all the way, everything below the low A sounded thin...just hollow & weak overall. I got myself as far into the peripheral of the amp as I could to see if it was the room maybe, but everywhere i stood, it just sounded weak.
    I've tried various front-ported Markbass 10's cabs in the store that have all sounded great..what's the deal with my Blackline 104? I got it for 300 bucks out-of-box last year. The Blackline 151HR I have sounds just as good as it's Markbass Standard counter-part to me...what gives?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Apparently you favor the other cab. Doesn't mean the one cab sucks...just means it's not to your liking. Sell it and get another 151hr.

3. Yea man, I've been thinking that too. I didn't assemble the two cabs because I specifically wanted a 4x10 over a 1x15 anyway..it happened because i wanted to match brands and had a budget. I got both cabs new out of box for about 500. CAM01203.jpg

4. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Maybe there is a problem in the cab wiring or damaged speaker(s). One speaker wired out of polarity will destroy the low end of a cab. To me personally I think all MarkBass cabs suck, but the 410's I've been exposed to had more low end than the 15's.

I hope you didn't spend $500+ for a 200 watt cab BTW.

CL400Peavey and LowStringNinja like this.
  5. It's interesting, it lists as 200w on sites, but it's rated 600w on the cab itself. I think the sites are mislabeled..all of the vendors do list it at 200. (but no, i got the 104 for under 300 and the 151 for 200)

JSBassman61 likes this.
  6. B-string

You can use a 1/4" speaker cable and a 9 volt battery to check the 410 cab. You can easily touch the terminals of a 9 volt to the 1/4" plug, watch the speaker cones when you connect the battery. All cones should move the same direction, if one or two move the opposite direction see if the return to center or stay that way. You shouldn't need more than 10 seconds of the battery connected. If cones return to center with the battery connected those speakers are not working (dead or disconnected wire(s)), if they stay pushed out or sucked in they are miss-wired in the cab.

LowStringNinja likes this.
  7. I was just about to ask you about that. Does it matter whether they move in versus out, or just that they all do the same? (is that what 'phase' means? polarity of the wiring?)

8. B-string

With the positive of the battery to the tip of the plug they should move out (away from the back panel). You don't lose low end with the two cabs together (no mention of it anyway) so we are more concerned with polarity inside the 410 (called phase by many although that is not technically correct).

9. Yes, the 15 cab sounds right (the same) with or without the 4x10. Ok cool, I understand. I have practice where that rig is tomorrow, I'll give it the battery test. Thanx man, appreciate you :)

B-string likes this.
  10. Well Man...the battery test yielded proper results..all the cones stood out together until i removed the battery. I'm afraid that the cabinet actually really just sucks :-/

11. B-string

Sorry it didn't help find a reason other than that cab's design was just not for you. It was best to know with an open box that everything was good so not a complete waste.

12. oh, most definitely. I'm glad it's in fine condition, I might see if i can get another 15 in place of it..although i have some ambivalence because the two cabinets do sound good together. I bet something else might compliment the 15 better, tho.

B-string likes this.
  13. Two of the 15's will rock way harder than 1 15.

14. JSBassman61

JSBassman61 Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2015
    Cleveland Ohio
    I have a 4x10 Blackline cab, it say's 600w on the cab also, got it brand new at Guitar Center for 400 bucks, I use the MarkBass BigBang head with it, I have No complaints

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021