1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does my PJ sound like a P, a J, or a PJ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by faulknersj, Dec 3, 2018.

1. ...a P.

12 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. ...a J.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ...a PJ

30 vote(s)
    71.4%
  1. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Yep, they are unique. They do the P thing really well, as well as the J bridge thing really well (though I like my P/J with the bridge PU in 70s position for more bite when blending) even though I pretty much never run the bridge by its self. I tend to treat my P/J basses as an enhanced P. It's a P bass with J-ish scoopy blends available.

I did finally land on a pretty versatile P/J with my Wilde P46/J45L with vol/ungrounded blend/tone with a push/pull to put the P46 in parallel. That gives it more of that brighter J neck sound vs the grunty series P thing. When blended with the bridge PU, it makes this J guy pretty happy!

I think it's really cool that Fender nailed the passive tones on the Elite. I do love that preamp, too!

JOME77 likes this.
  2. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I've only played around a little with the active in the live setting. It definitely seemed to broaden or thicken up the sound. The bass came with a set of nickel RW's on the bass and I really liked the sound of the bass in the active mode with those installed. It seemed to enhance the additional harmonics and overtones really nicely. But I fell in love with the sound and feel of the D'addario Chrome flats that I installed so for now I'm really digging the sound of the bass passive.
    Totally love the neck! It feels very traditionally P-bass in the money area of the neck and really flattens out as you get into the higher register.
    The Elite that I purchased has a perfect neck. I usually really worry when I order a bass online (Guitar Center) because try as they may, no two are a like. I got really fortunate. The fret job is absolutely perfect. Great leveling job. The strings are literally laying on the frets with no buzz at all. The sound is extremely even sounding all over the finger board. Out of all the boutique bass that I've owned (Roscoe's, Zon's, MTD's, Skjold's, Smith's ...) I've only had 2-3 of them that setup and play like the Elite. Totally impressed!

Here's a couple pics (before I took all the stickers off):

IMG-0278.JPG IMG-0279.JPG

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    faulknersj likes this.
  3. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    +1. Sounds about right.

I chose the Fralin P/J set for my St. Blues because Fralin provides an overwound J pickup in that set. It holds its own against the P pickup more than some others.

bigtone23 and faulknersj like this.
  4. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    I think you have a P tone with a little J bark added. I dig it. Also, fantastic playing. You've got a sweet groove.

faulknersj likes this.
  5. Oatis

Oatis

Nov 6, 2018
    Alabama
    Are they stacked coils , and only the top coil "sees" the string ? The magnet may be different too. Is this Jazz pickup also in the Deluxe Precision Bass (Mexican for $800 ? ) That is what I have but the playing on this clip is super deep and distinct. Very good chops ! I thought of bass boost and compression.

6. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    Not sure about the Gen 4 Noisless pickups on the Deluxe Precision Special, but I think they only come stock on Elite series. I don’t use compression (although the mic on my iPhone surely does lol) and set my amp flat (no bass boost). Thank you for the kind words :)

7. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Here's a pic showing the low action that this bass has (and zero fret buzz). It actually took a setup of .06 at the 22 fret across all strings (bottom of the strings to top of fret) ....

Elite action.

faulknersj and MoeTown1986 like this.
  8. faulknersj

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    Dude...I am right there with you!

36D8D83A-35FB-42A6-BBEE-B060DB8A2FFC.
    A8A959A4-97D6-481E-BB7A-FCD7D41C3229.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    JOME77 likes this.
  9. faulknersj

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    I’m glad to know that someone else loves theirs as much as I love mine!

JOME77 likes this.
  10. faulknersj

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    Thank u for the kind words!

11. MoeTown1986

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Gotta give credit where credit is due. There’s a fine line between tasty and overplaying. You have 100% tasty bass lines.

BillMason likes this.
  12. faulknersj

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    Thank you sir! Your 5 string jazz sounds killer in your promo video bro!

13. MoeTown1986

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Thanks, man!

faulknersj likes this.