1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does my Rick need a neck adjustment?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dbull, Apr 20, 2009.

1. dbull

dbull

Feb 26, 2009
    North Carolina
    I just got a Rick 4003 that is 3-4 years old. Perfect condition, except I get a lot of fret action on the E string when I play and sympathetic vibrations. I have raised the action to the max, and it helped a little, but not nearly enough. I think that I may need a neck adjustment. Does anyone agree, and how much should I expect to pay for this, since I am not comfortable with my own ability to do this. Thanks.

2. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    If you mean a simple truss rod adjustment, that should be cheap ... more than $20 and you got taken. It takes just a minute or two. But ... you might want to get a full setup (I would recommend it, just because you raised the action ... and intonation probably needs adjusting, and the neck angle should be checked), and that might be $40 or more, depending on the amount of fidgeting needed. Watch closely if you can, and see how easy it is to maintain your own axe ... no will ever do it better for you than you can!

3. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    On a Ric, what can you do about it?

Answer: when you can't lower the bridge anymore, the fingerboard is removed, a tapered wedge fitted to change the fingerboard/neck angle, glued, the finish repaired as necessary, and the bass setup.

And they STILL build them that way!