Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does new rosin need to be "broken in"

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Libersolis, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Libersolis

Libersolis

Sep 9, 2004
    Austin, TX
    this is my first pack of rosin I have bough (carlson) its the same type I had before ( given to me) but it doesnt seem to be working as well.. am I supposed to do something to it before I apply it?

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Short of removing it from the plastic wrapper, no.

Maybe you were sold an old cake?

3. Actually I've found that a brand new cake does take a little breaking in; it's usually kind of glazed over and needs to be roughed up a bit. The harder the rosin is i think it's more likely to be this way. Carlson is pretty soft, but definately harder than some others. (poops)

4. In the past, I've taken a key to the rosin to "rough it up". It works pretty well. However, my new cake (of pops) has worked wonderfully without breaking it in. I guess it depends on the cake.

5. I don't think it is so much of breaking in as it is in creating a grove.

6. I always make a point of *not* making a groove in my rosin. Once you make a big ol' groove, it's a pain to use the rest of the cake unless you melt it down and reshape it. Also, I take my rosin from the edge of the cake. Seems to work better because I can dig into it more, especially with a softer rosin like carlson. Probably wouldn't make a lot of difference with a hard rosin.

7. Let me elaborate. When I say a grove, I don't mean an abyss, I mean a place where the bow naturally glides through.

8. I just bought a Knilling bass (my first upright). I bought some Knilling rosin and it's very dark and hard stuff... and glazed on the top.

I tried scraping the glazed part off a bit and found that the rosin applies to the bow much easier than befor.