Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does Nikki Sixx only play with a pick?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by twilightcall, Jun 5, 2004.

1. twilightcall

twilightcall

May 27, 2004
    I was wondering if anyone knows if Nikki Sixx only plays with a pick? Thanks.

2. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Yes. I had seen Motley Crue on every 80's tour (Shout At The Devil, Theater Of Pain, Girls, Girls Girls and Dr. Feelgood) and he always played with a pick. Considering how totally messed up on drugs and booze he was during those years, he played pretty damn good and got better each tour. :bassist:

3. PeaceSells775

PeaceSells775 Guest

Sep 17, 2007
    He is definitely a pick player. As a young Motley fan I've seen a lot of videos and I went to Crue Fest in '08, I've never seen him play with his fingers.

4. woffle

woffle

Mar 26, 2008
    Yeah Nikki is definately a prick player.
    Woffle

5. PeaceSells775

PeaceSells775 Guest

Sep 17, 2007
    Yup and definitely more successful than you. I mean, he's not an extremely talented musician, but he's a good song writer in my opinion. But of course that's my own opinion. I like to see what's great about every player out there.

6. actually, he said somewhere (bass player mag interview, i think), that he started getting into playing fingerstyle lately, and played that way on some songs on the heroin diaries album. he also said that he isn't confident enough with it to do it live...but that was a few years ago, so he might as well start it now:)

7. woffle

woffle

Mar 26, 2008
    Dude at your age, Nikki can be hazardous to your health.
    btw nice choice with the T.bird,and as for success I'm still optimistic,and you?

8. DoggBisket

DoggBisket

May 3, 2009
    Minnesota
    Yes he plays with a pick and for the same reason that Duff Mckeagon does.

9. Lulz

Lulz

Jun 5, 2009
    How can you tell, maybe you just insulted Paul McCartney's TB account?

10. PrivateHigh

PrivateHigh

Jul 19, 2009
    Long Island
    But I'm Paul McCartney.;)

11. Totally. Pick 100%. I once read an interview from 1983 that said he plays with a pick only, but liked the sound of fingerstyle better, but never learned. I've seen Mötley Crüe twice and Sixx:A.M. once and he used a pick all the time for both.

12. PeaceSells775

PeaceSells775 Guest

Sep 17, 2007
    I'm optimistic, i guess success is to the player himself/herself. I think i'm happy just by picking up my bass and just playing to myself. It really doesn't matter if youre playing stadiums or just clubs, it's all about the feel you get by playing. But, too many people bash on Sixx. That's kinda what I was getting at. He's no wooten, but he gets the job done.

and yes he probably is hazardous to my health.

13. woffle

woffle

Mar 26, 2008
    Hi PeaceSells775,
    Nice to see you'vd calmed a touch.The kinda feeling we get from playing I know only to well.That after 40 years of playing is most likely what keeps us old know nothings in the game.But let me say....if your setting YOUR sights on characters like Nikki and such its gonna be a hard road to success.I wish you well.
    Woffle

14. $Lindz$

$Lindz$

Oct 27, 2008
    Everyone can use a little bit of Nikki in their life!

You sound like the typical parent (no offense) who says to their kid: "Don't listen to that kind of music, you'll do drugs." Guess who the biggest druggies are (disregard abusive families or guardians)? The kids who were raised "protected" from stuff like Motley Crue, Rock n Roll, experimenting, making their own decisions, and forced to be "proper" and "good". Also religious families (from any religion) that were overbearing and "ruling".

Mose people on this board would say: "You should look up to players like Entiwstle and Geddy Lee."

To which I say: "Being a great musician and making great music are not dependent on each other." You can be great at playing, but it doesn't mean you are making great music.

Anyways, I think Crue makes awesome music, and isn't that what you judge musicians on? Their music? Too Fast For Love through Dr. Feelgood = amazing dirty, honest, rock n roll. With what I would call "heavy Blues" tones (thanks Mick Mars!).

What was the point of this post? Oh yeah... Nikki Sixx fan =/= Nikki Sixx life decisions.

15. Demonator

Demonator

Jun 14, 2009
    L.J. Kentucky
    Dean Street Team
    Hes still awesome. Lots of bassists use picks and their awesome.

16. Greevus

Greevus

Apr 15, 2009
    Murderface plays with his dick. Nikki Sixx shoots up onstage. F*cking rock.

17. JimiLL

JimiLL Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Hunt. Co., New Jersey
    only prick around here is yourself:spit:

nikki wrote almost all of their hit songs on a 4 string bass all fu%ked up on dope.

Id say he has more talent for writing music that people like than you do. And you're not a dopehead.... although you sure think like one

18. PeaceSells775

PeaceSells775 Guest

Sep 17, 2007
    Well, I'm not saying I want to be like Sixx. I'm just sticking up for him. yes, he is very influential on me as a bass player, but that doesn't mean I idolize him.

19. KPAX

KPAX Banned

Mar 22, 2005
    I think he also plays with a syringe.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    What gauge needle?