does one of your basses ever seem to call to you?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pcake, Jul 14, 2020.

1. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i was going to bed about three hours ago, when i saw a glint of orange and thought "i haven't played the mezzo recently".

next thing i know, i'm having a wonderful time playing, really great - and all too soon three hours have gone by, and since the mezzo has its original strings and i usually play super lights, my fingertips are sore in a good way. so i ordered some new strings for it, and need to head off to sleep - but what i really want is to keep playing!!! :bassist:

pic from when i got it last christmas -
    mezzobody.jpg

JimmyM, btmpancake, BassmanM and 4 others like this.
  2. I go through phases. Not sure if it's the same thing.

I'll play my Reverend for a month or three, then for no reason I can fathom, my Warmoth '72 P will beg me to play it. Reverend goes back in the rack and sits there until .... A Month or two later I get an urge to play my MTD .........

BassmanM, Wanker_Joe and pcake like this.
  3. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    Yes! Recently I bought the UB804 Ibanez electric upright. It lives on a stand in my conservatory. I have to pass it to go to the restroom at night. Needless to say I have lost a good bit of sleep listening to the sweet syrupy tone that rolls off the fingerboard. It’s the first thing I touch after I ditch the work clothes and attitude. I know I paid over a grand for the thing but it feels like a gift.

el jeffe bass and pcake like this.
  4. Yup! That's why I store them in cases/bags. I need to be up at 5am :laugh:

TN WOODMAN and pcake like this.
  5. Happens every time I approach my basses, I'll be reaching for my one of my Squiers because I haven't played them for awhile.

But my favorite, my Fender Musicmaster is right there in the middle saying "hey, it's time" and 70% of the time it's the one I grab.

pcake likes this.
  6. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    That would have to be my CV60’s Pbass.

My others are all Jazz style and they get most of my attention. My Pbass makes me play in such a different way . The voicing is so different that I have to remind myself to appreciate it for what it is rather than what it isn’t.

73229056-984D-4AFE-BB30-EC0276DEA966.jpeg

Rezdog and pcake like this.
  7. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Usually for a dust rag!:jawdrop:

btmpancake, Doctor Morbius and pcake like this.
  8. Wanker_Joe

Wanker_Joe

Sep 26, 2017
    I do this as well. I've also kind of noticed that I tend to "fall out of love" with whichever bass has the deadest strings haha (until I change them and then it's my new fav for a while).

comatosedragon and pcake like this.
  9. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    In all the time I've been playing I have to say I've never had that happen.

Maybe someday.

pcake likes this.
  10. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    I have serious Musicmaster GAS at the moment, there’s something really appealing about the simplicity and vintage Fender looks. Thinking of getting an old one. How are you finding the setup / intonation? Any problems or issues?

pcake likes this.
  11. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Definitely orange basses call you.
    But I'll walk the dog and halfway through I start thinking I need to grab my lead-heavy P fretless. It's weird but there is totally a connection. It's not the one I play the most but it's the one I think about the most.

12. I can certainly understand your Musicmaster gas, I love mine and couldn't part with them. I have 2, one Squier (CL buy at $100) and my Fender (free)

Not to bore you with the whole story but when I got the Fender it was in a barn and in sad shape, rusty chrome, and paint peeling. After rehabbing it i played it with the original 6 pole pickup and 2 saddle bridge for quite a few years with no issues. Setup and intonation always stayed true.

In about 2008 or so I got the Squier off of CL. Once I played that against the Fender I realized how "thin" the tone was on the Fender. When my son was a senior in high school he was spending a ton of time airbrushing so I bought a 2nd body and that's what's on it now. At that time I also changed the pup to a 4 pole Seymour Duncan and changed the bridge to a string through body that I snagged from a now defunct shop. Supposedly that bridge came from a Squier MM but no way to verify. The only mod done to the Squier was the refin from "guitar paint guys" because when I picked it up it looked like the previous owner had used it as a garden shovel. So I can tell you that one's intonation and tuning are spot on. Arguably that Vista Tone pickup in the Squier MM is the best sounding of my 3 short scales.

You're spot on with the simple looks and playability, the Fender goes to every gig, and either the Squier MM or my Squier Bronco trade out turns at gigs. Reliable little basses, they're my workhorses. Hope that answered your question without too many extraneous info.

pcake and project_c like this.
  13. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    Great answer, thanks!

WI Short Scaler likes this.
  14. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Doctor Morbius and pcake like this.
  15. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

All three are calling me.
    But I just got off work and am tired.
    20200602_075436.jpg

16. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Not really

17. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    maybe...

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  18. ac100X

ac100X

Apr 6, 2003
    California
    If you don't play me I'm going back to Fang.............
    IMG_2252 VOX Phantom.JPG

Rezdog likes this.
  19. Clipped

Clipped

Aug 9, 2014
    Jersey
    Yes! They all call to me at times. Alas, it’s the ones I DON'T own that call the loudest.

20. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada/Motown
    The Raiders lol

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021