1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does other band member's gear bother you?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Deadworks, May 2, 2006.

1. Deadworks

Deadworks

Dec 13, 2004
    St.Louis, MO
    Here's my scenario and maybe others will have similar scenarios as myself. Keep in mind this is a semi tounge-in-cheek post.

My guitar player's main "axe" is a B.C. Rich warlock. Words cannot describe my hatred for this guitar. Every time I'm at a show and see a band using these I think "here comes a crappy metal band" nine times out of ten I'm usually correct in that assumption. I'd at least like to get the benefit of the doubt before we suck it up on stage.

Now my drummer and I both equally hate this guitar with a passion we've hoped and prayed this thing would get lifted at a show so we would never have to see it ever again. He's a bit more vocal on the subject than myself. I just offer for him to use one of my guitars(or accidentally grab the wrong gig bag :bag: The whole reason I bought my SX mockingbird was for him to use. It's not nearly as ugly and plays and sounds way better than that warlock.

Now the serious part of the post. In a band setting do you feel it's acceptable to step in and say hey this piece of gear just isn't working. Look at trying out X item or Y item instead. Or am I just being a pompous (explitative here) about the situation. It's not like I'm expecting him to go out and get a PRS or anything but that guitar just looks and plays horribly.

2. You're within your rights to say that a piece of gear - or the way someone dresses - doesn't suit the image of a band - if it's all serious.

If you're doing it for fun rather than trying to get discovered, then live and let live.

I was in a very busy 60's cabaret band a while ago and bought a new black Epiphone 58 Flying V bass. The sight of it just about made the lead guitarist ill. Despite the fact that the Flying V bass was around in the 1950's and some bands used them, he went into a really low way about it. This was good for me, as I hated his guts with a passion.

The point is though, that he felt the bass didn't fit in at all with what the band did and how it looked (like his PRS, not very 60's either, though I would never have poulled him up about it).

They also had a wobbly about a 5 string Fender Jazz bass..... because it had extra low notes available on it. Dorks.

In my current band, we announce the arrival of some 'oddball' guitars onstage and make the most of it.
    You could make it part of the show.

3. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    If it plays horribly thats his buissiness - you don't have to play it.
    If HE PLAYS it horribly that fix him not the guitar.
    If you just think it looks funny, then thats just personal taste. I think you lost the moral high ground when you said you prefered the mockingbird ;-) Sersiously though I think there's some grounds for discussion - image can be important, but assuming you ARE a metal band then I think you've got to live with it.

Personally I got my warlock in the mid 90's. They'd been out of fashion so long it was - I thought it was ironic/retro/tacky. Then they got trendy again and people started saying how great it was - like seriously! They actually thought that I'd bought it because it looked GOOD. Now it's just lame again... Did I mention it's bright pink?

In the broader picture I'm nudging our guitarist to optimise is effects a little - he has a killer rack, PLUS a whole load of pedals PLUS a marshal head. Sounds great, but it takes ages to set up and it's huge for the stages we're playing ing. I've managed to convince him to loose the pedalboard and keep it all in the rack, but he hasn't actually managed to do it yet..

Ian

4. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    I was in a band with a drummer once that had this really hideous sounding china crash. It never sat in the song and he just looooved to use it. Everyone hated that damned thing. It mysteriously got missplaced during loud-out on tour somewhere in the midwest... mind you; I had nothing to do with it and knew nothing of it at the time, but when I found out later what the other members had done, I was both offended and relieved. :ninja:

5. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    :hyper: :hyper:

I like that story!:D Although it is shocking.:eek:

Anyway, Warlocks should have never been made.

Seen Jimi at Monterey Pop? Just give it a try!

If that hint is too subtle, Jimi also did a song called Fire! :ninja:

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I would have to say that if a band member told ME that they wanted me to change my bass because of the way it looked, I would say something along the lines of "tough cookies". There have been many a situation where a band member played an instrument that was not of my personal preference, but I respected their decision as I expect them to respect mine.

Also, as pointed out before, saying you want someone to replace their cheesy Warlock with a Mockingbird guitar is kind of like taking away someone's leaky canoe and giving them a leaky inflatable raft instead. I guess.

7. Deadworks

Deadworks

Dec 13, 2004
    St.Louis, MO
    Well cosmetics aren't the only issue the thing has a shoddy bridge pickup in it, and won't intonate worth a crap. I think at least in this area I have a viable concern on whether this thing is gonna take a **** on stage or if my basses which do have proper intonation will match his guitar. I may not have a luxury SUV priced gear stable but I know that outside of some freak lightning strike or garden gnome attack it's going to work day in and day out.

Maybe those concerns transfer into my hatred for the looks through some weird pyschological process. Regardless of the fact he deserves a more worry free and better set up instrument.

8. Rob Lewis

Rob Lewis

Feb 23, 2006
    London
    A guitarist I play with has a Gibson Explorer which I hate with a vengeance, mainly 'cos of the sound. It won't hold a tune, and he twins it up with this vile fuzzbox which distorts more than anything I have ever heard. Also, it's horribly loud and he won't be told. The aesthtic appearance of the thing merely serves to punctuate the racket coming out of it.

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Two of the three guitarrists in my band love to use chorus effects.

Dudes. We have THREE GUITARS in this band. There is NO NEED for ANYONE to EVER use a chorus. It just makes us sound out of tune.

10. If it offends you so much, I'd explain how it makes you feel and why. I would be tempted to say "That goes or I do....."

Just make sure you hate it enough to do so!

11. I don't care what they're playing, as long as they're not bagging on my basses ^_^;;

12. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    If the band clearly has a leader and the others have been hired as sidemen, and the group is booking steady, then yes... the leader has a right to make a statement about sound and looks.

If your instrument is on the extreme in sound or looks, that should be addressed in the audtition.

If the band is a group of friends making music and hoping for gigs, then this falls into the same catagory as about a hundred items that plague non-professional groups.

13. in my old blues/rock band, my guitar player played an ibanez iceman guitar, and everybody thought we were a metal band...

now, my guitar player has gear far superior to mine, so he is probably actually ripping on my gear in the guitar players forum :)

14. cymbop

cymbop

Mar 1, 2006
    Durham, NC
    HA HA! I hid my drummer's china crash, too! Hate that thing! :D

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Leave the poor guy and his BC alone. :D

-Mike

16. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

We would supercord an amp or speaker cab that we didn't like and effects boxes.
    A super cord was lamp cord with an AC plug on one end and a 1/4" on the other. "Cured" several flaky fuzz boxes and some amps that "couldn't be turned down". Darn we were dumb.

Best Of Luck,
    Wesley R.

17. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    If a player were using something that maybe was a little wierd image-wise, I wouldn't say anything. As long as he/she sounds good, that's all that matters. Hopefully that player has enough sense to match the instrument to the genre of music or vibe that we were going for i.e. not playing a Warlock in a country band or an archtop Gretsch in a thrash metal band.

Now if the gear is causing a problem sonically, then I would speak up. For example, if a piece of gear were causing hum through the FOH mix or if bad fretwork on a guitar was causing buzzing. I'm very critical of both guitar and bass sounds. I'm to the point that if I walk into an audition and I don't like the guitar player's tone, I won't join.

18. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    Deadworks,

Get a wish bass and make a pack with him!!

Lets trade the wish and warlock in for decent gear!!

cheers

19. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I'm all for a good bit of kitsch, like a BC Rich, but if it's busted... Not such a good thing.

20. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    My guitarist has a really old BC Rich Warlock...Not the good really old ones, but one that needs a lot of TLC to get it back into shape. Well, anyway, the way we cured him of using the crappy one was to give him GAS. He then bought a BC Rich Beast, had me set it up, and put EMG's in it. The thing plays sweet, sounds sweeter. He hasn't played the Warlock since.

So, get him to GAS over something and then buy it...let him keep the warlock for home practice, and he'll want to show off the new guitar for shows.