Does paint on Black Hipshot Ultralites flake?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by RedJag, Aug 1, 2018.

1. RedJag

RedJag

Mar 2, 2016
    San Jose, CA
    Pretty straight forward question here, I’m looking to upgrade the tuners on my Warwick Corvette Fretless Std, and I’m very interested in picking up some Hipshot Ultralites. I feel like Black would look pretty cool, but I’ve seen some people say that the color can flake off. Is this a real issue? Or is it just exaggerated by one or two people?

2. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

Been using them for years and have never seen them flake. The posts where the strings wrap around will show some wear if you use unsilked strings though.

I have 5 basses with Black Ultralites and one (a Warwick) with gold.

Here's about 15 or so years of wear on my Roscoe, never used silked strings. As you can see there is pretty much no wear and definitely no flaking. Any scratches made by the string windings are covered up by the strings.

rhead.jpg

bholder and RedJag like this.
  3. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I have a few basses with Black Ultralites, and...no issues with the finish. I also have a few of their black aluminum bridges - same finish on the same substrate. Underneath the bridge saddles, where the screws touch the baseplate, the pressure does break through the black finish, but it doesn't flake - you just get little silver circles, which you don't see when everything is in place, as the saddles tend to cover their own tracks.

RedJag and bholder like this.
  4. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    They're easy to scratch and ding. The black stays on unless those things happen. I think it could be a stronger and more durable "black", though. I have a set of black ultralites on the bass in my Avatar.

5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

They are not painted and the finish doesn't chip off. You have nothing to worry about and you won't get a much better tuner (or customer service) elsewhere.

RedJag likes this.
  6. RedJag

RedJag

Mar 2, 2016
    San Jose, CA
    Thanks for the replies guys. Black it is!
    oh I know, I live near the factory and I’ve gotten a few tours. Service is second to none. I’ve just read things online here and there, so I wanted to get an idea from owners what their experiences are. Sounds like I’ll be picking up some black tuners shortly

7. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician
    Gopher it!

Lownote38 likes this.
  8. RedJag

RedJag

Mar 2, 2016
    San Jose, CA
    Of course that means I’ll eventually have to get a black bridge and black knobs for my Warwick...you know how it goes

9. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician
    Black strap locks, black strings. Change the internal wiring to all black. Black out the position markers. Black black black.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 27, 2022