1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

does playing piano help you with playing the bass?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by airrick, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Beyond the advantages of greater physical dexterity and enhanced knowledge of theory, I think the specific type of ear training the piano provides helps one to hear and appreciate the subtleties and nuances of music - because the piano is so well-suited to that. It's a very good thing for a bassist to learn.

Because the bass is such a powerful instrument, it can be very easy to get caught up in that power and play with very broad strokes (i.e. mainstream, major key material) - and miss all the beautiful, delicate, complex aspects of music that become so apparent on the piano, i.e. minor second progressions, augmented & diminshed chord voicings, and so on...

MM

2. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    I think that would be a big bonus. Would also help you play and sing if it gets you used to doing 2 different things at the same time.

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    Making music is a mental/emotional/spiritual process. Stimulating an instrument to produce sound typically is a test of physical dexterity. Anything that exercises the coordination of the two is helpful.