1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does Playing Team Sports Make You A Better Band Member?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jive1, Oct 1, 2009.

1. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Does playing a team sport make you a better band member?

Just thinking about how playing a team sport helps you to know your role, know how to provide and accept support and work as a team. These seem to be the same skills that help as a band member.

Any thoughts?

2. ttomom

ttomom

Mar 29, 2007
    My son playing soccer helps me be a better player as two times a week I take him to practice and bring a bass to play for the hour & a half I have to sit at the park while he practices :D

as far as an answer to your actual question, I dont see that

3. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    It's possible, yes, but you'll have to pick your sport carefully so as not to put any of your fingers in danger. I had a friend that was great at football but never played it in school because he played classical piano and just couldn't risk it.

4. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Some of the biggest jerks I've ever met were athletes who excelled on the field, but were less than stellar human beings in real life.

5. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I`d think it does... at least at the competitive level. Sports in general force players to socialize which is good for a number of reasons in youth. Once you get to the competitive level, however, it forces young adults to communicate efficiently, quickly, and critically. At the same time, I would think it also forces players to adapt quickly and also not take things too personally.

I think it may help with playing gigs as well. You can`t always win or have an amazing gig, and I think that may help people accept the fact that things aren`t always perfect(such as making it to the finals and losing). But I also think it makes kids connect the concept that the harder you work and practice, the more likely it is that you`ll win and succeed at the thing you are doing as long as you are determined.

6. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    Playing in an orchestra helps IMO.

7. I think ANY setting that excells when the individual members must work for a greater good would be a boon to a music setting.

8. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    Yes....it does. Playing sports helps with everything.

9. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    You can say the same thing for musicians.

10. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Back when I used to play basketball alot, my band mates would get pissed off because I'd come to gigs with a jammed or taped up finger. Hey, I still did the gig!

11. wizay

wizay

Mar 5, 2008
    Norway
    I play handball, but dont think that have made me a better band member, but not made me worse either.. The minus is that you can risk to hurt yourself. I had to re-do my right hand technique when i broke my index finger while playing, the finger is acutally 4-5mm shorter that the other one.. :) But i agree with your thougts

12. arginator

arginator

Feb 28, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Doesn't Iron Maiden have their own soccer team?

13. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    You could also turn it around and say that playing music would help athletes greatly by helping them with imagination, rhythm and fluidity.

14. BritPicker

BritPicker

Apr 20, 2009
    I just found that most 'team' sports are anything but. Full of jerks who just want to be the man.

15. Implosion

Implosion

Oct 19, 2007
    Finland
    No. IMO.
    I think Heywood Broun said it best: "Sports do not build character. They reveal it."

You know, the certain types of players who don't like to defend their own net that much and rather spend their time circling the half court and wait for a pass so that they can break-away. An annoying person is an annoying person, no matter what the circumstances are.

16. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I would think the reverse would be true. Playing music should make you a better team player across the board. Being in a band is the ultimate team sport! Everyone has to know their place and what's expected, and perform accordingly.

17. fender_funk_man

fender_funk_man

Feb 19, 2009
    Being a well rounded individual is important in general. Whether or not team sports helps people play musical I think depends on the individual. I study Jiu-Jitsu (and my hands take some abuse but i'm careful with them.) I find that martial arts have taught me how to relax my mind and roll with what is happening around me. I find my reaction time is greatly increased and in general it helps me stay focused. Which brings me back to my earlier point. Well rounded individuals have major advantages over someone who is only in to one thing.

18. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I have grown to like how you think outside the box.

I have always thought that live music IS a team SPORT.

19. Jehos

Jehos Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    DFW, TX
    I'm not sure. I think that most bassists are naturally team players. Our primary job is a support role--we're the glue that holds songs together. There's a reason that there are only a handful of bassists that the general public recognizes as great out of the thousands of commercial bands out there.

20. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    I think that a lot depends on the coaching (in both sports and music).

Team sports: Most of the players are there to grind it out, in support of a small number of "primadonnas" who get showcased. Not much in common there with music at all!

JM