Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does power get divided between cabinets?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tonedeaf, Sep 6, 2005.

1. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Supporting Member

My apologies if this is one of those often asked questions. I'm not sure exactly how to search for it. Any answers or links to an appropriate thread will me much appreciated.

I have an Eden WT800, and 2 8-ohm Ampeg cabinets. Each channel of the amp puts out 400 watts @ 4 ohms, and about 240 watts @ 8 ohms. I understand that if I run one cabinet per side, each of them is getting a max of 240 watts from the amp.

If I run two cabs on the same channel, for a 4-ohm load, how is that power divided between the cabinets, or is it? In other words, does each cabinet get 400 watts, or is the wattage divided between cabinets somehow?

This same question, obviously, would apply to any amp, not just a stereo amp.

Pardon my ignorance, and thanks in advance for your help.

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Each cab will "see" 200W. On even impedence (i.e. 2x8ohm cabs) the total power is divided among how many cabs there are. It gets crazy when you match like a 4 and 8 ohm though.

-Ray

3. tonedeaf

Thanks for the quick answer Ray!

Does it then follow that it would be minimally louder to run each 8-ohm cab on its own channel @ 240 watts apiece? Is one way "better" than the other?

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    You wont notice 40W at all, and it wont be buying you much headroom either. But, for me, I'd do one cab per channel, just cos I like having stereo ouput, for no real reason. Perhaps once I land a Ric it'll come in handy :smug:. Just do whatever's easiest. Do both really. See if you can convince yourself ones sounds better than the other :p.

-Ray

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
  6. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    hey buddy where in Martin COunty are you? I live in Stuart, right off of Salerno and Kanner.

7. tonedeaf

Thanks to your education, I will run separate channels. The bi-amping possibilities seem pretty cool . . . lows through the 15, highs through the 10s.

Can't make it to the GTG - I have a theater job the following weekend that I'll be in rehearsals for.

Aerospaceguy, I live in Palm City.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    is there a volume control for each channel?

cause, you might have to keep in mind the speakers' sensitivity specs.

i.e.

Epifani UL210: 102db SPL @ 1w 1m
    Epifani UL115: 100db SPL @ 1w 1m

that might not seem much of a difference on papar, but can mean something as you get louder.

9. The total power (400w) gets divided equally between equal impedance cabinets, 200W each.

At least until the lawyers get involved.

Randy

10. tonedeaf

The amp in question is an Eden WT800, just one volume control, although there is a balance knob that can send more power to one channel or the other if it's not biamped.

The cabs in question are an Ampeg SVT 210HE and SVT 115 with the same power rating.

------------------------
    :D :D :D

11. jjedmonds

jjedmonds

Aug 28, 2005
    ...ok, can I ask this here...will there be a noticable change in volume when running 1-8ohm cab @ 150 watts or 2-8ohm cabs (for 4ohm load) at 240 watts? I have a GK 400RB-III combo (1-15" @ 8ohms) with (I believe) these ratings and am always thinking about adding that 4x10" extension...sorry if this isn't the thread...jje

12. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Yes! Not only the increased wattage will bring you a tiny increase in volume, BUT the added cone area WILL give you a LOT more volume.

-Ray