1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does raising the action change the tone or make it louder? e

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IamGroot, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Discuss amongst youselves.

If you have only played low action, you may be missing out.

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    There's certainly a correlation between higher action and louder acoustic volume on acoustic instruments. There's also an affect on tone on acoustics. I personally don't find there to be much difference on electrics. FWIW. YMMV. Substantial penalties for early withdrawal. :p

IamGroot likes this.
  3. okabass

okabass

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland,Lahti
    Only If you play. (sorry) ;)

4. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    higher action can give you more dynamic range however if you have lower action, turn up the volume on the amp and can control your plucking hand you can still have the wide dynamic range.

So then it boils down to how hard you play. The harder you pluck, the higher you need the action. I set mine fairly low and turn up the amp but I have learned to have good dynamic control so I don't need to use a compressor or limiter to even out my playing, it just took a lot of practice to get it where I want it.

IamGroot likes this.
  5. Isaac J

Isaac J

Dec 26, 2016
    UK
    I've always found higher action just means you can play with a heavier attack without rattling or buzzing. I only really find a low action comfortable, however, so maybe I am missing out!

6. onda'bass

onda'bass Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Buffalo Ny
    there is a point of diminishing returns in either direction, low enough that is comfy and high enough to be clean.

CapnSev likes this.
  7. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    Does it change tone? Yes.
    Does it increase volume? No. If anything it should make it more quiet if you don't raise you pickups as well.
    The change in tone may act like an increase in volume if the frequency change compliments your pickups or amps.