1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does rampant fart-knockery and criminal quackery affect the sound of my bass?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by CK1, Apr 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CK1

CK1

Apr 14, 2009
    A discussion of some "weird chit" recently has prompted me to create an experiment today concerning a long-standing theory about how morphic fields affect informational fields, which in turn affects human senses. The idea is to improve one's sense of hearing by manipulating morphic fields. I'd like to share with my friends and fellow musicians - at least those open to new ideas.

I know this is a very mockworthy idea. Yes, I don't have to be told that it makes no sense (most people have never experimented in this domain). But nevertheless, it's an idea that has worked for me and for thousands of people who have done similar experiments with sound and human senses, over the last quarter century. More importantly, it takes less time to test than it does to mock. So who knows, it might work for you, and it doesn't cost a dime to try it.

All it requires is:

a commercial CD (with booklet and inside its jewel case).
    a fine point black marker (or liquid gel pen, whatever produces fine dark black ink)

On a plain white piece of paper, write the following message with the fine black marker:

EVERYTHING IS SAFE INSIDE EVERYTHING IS SAFE INSIDE EVERYTHING IS SAFE INSIDE > O.K.

Cut out just the message, open the CD jewel box, place the message so at least part of it is directly on the "CompactDisc" logo printed on the CD. Then close the jewel box (CD case). (If the message is longer than the CD and wont fit in the case, fold it in half). That's all there is to it. This CD is now a "device". Here's how to test it:

TEST
    =====

HOW TO TEST: Theoretically, the presence of the CD in its case is affecting your sound. For it to not affect your sound, you have to at least take it out of the room (because its affecting morphic fields present in its environment. Taking it out of the house totally negates the effect, but that's probably not necessary). So you test it by keeping it in the room, then taking it out when you want to hear if it makes a difference to your sound. (Simply taking the message off the CD should also make a difference to the sound, but not as much as it out of the room).

WHAT TO TEST: Play a CD (but not the CD that contains the message), on the best quality stereo you have. Repeat the same track, and either take the "CD device" that contains the message out of the room, or back into the room. Repeat the same track you were playing and see if the music sounds more natural, or smooth, or the resolution (quality in general) has improved. Yes, you can also test this using your bass guitar- that's the fun part. :bassist:

Play a riff with the CD in front of you (or better still, on top of your speakers), and then with it out of the room. See if the tone of your guitar has changed in any way, after repeating the same riff. Repeat the test a few times, to better identify changes. (n.b. I think the changes are no doubt way too subtle to be heard under the stresses and noise of live conditions, and is best tested at home, when things are quiet. Also, this message isn't meant to be attached to a guitar, it will make things sound worse. If there is interest, I'll try to come up with something more suitable for a bass).

2. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

***?

3. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    CK1, glad you're back, man. In the context of my ha ha funny "$39 Fuse" troll thread, this discussion was kind of interesting, and mildly amusing, but here as a separate post in the bass guitar amplifier section of TalkBass, its off-topic and at worst, kind of nonsensical. That thread was closed, incidentally, because a flame war was brewing with the Belt stuff.

You might try posting this somewhere else on the forum if you really want to discuss. My suggestion would be "off topic."

4. CK1

CK1

Apr 14, 2009
    Like I said in my post, it takes just a minute. Try it first, and then respond.

5. b_carville

b_carville

Jun 26, 2008
    Can I invite you to my buddy list?

I don't have anyone else on that. I'd be very gratified if it was you!

6. CK1

CK1

Apr 14, 2009
    Well I looked at ALL the forums to find the most appropriate forum for this message. This was the most appropriate subforum I could find. I dont see how its off-topic, since this subforum is a general discussion about bass guitars, right? And my msg is about improving the sound of bass guitars. "Off-topic" forum is about anything but bass guitars and music, so it doesn't seem like the right forum either.

7. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    Yet, somehow, it does. Just trying to be helpful. Carry on.

8. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Ok. I did this test, only I didn't have a fine black marker. So I used peanut butter. I definitely hear a difference in about the 2.5khz range when I took put my peanut butter CD outside and in my car.

(I used a Nickelback CD for this test. I plan to repeat the test with a Victor Wooten CD to see if I hear a difference.)

9. CK1

CK1

Apr 14, 2009
    hahayesveryfunny. Now try it again properly. You might be surprised.

10. What. The. Hell????

11. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Not a very accurate experiment. No control group, and clearly the tester cannot also be the subject. Otherwise some solid science.

12. Steveaux

Steveaux Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    Make sure you're wearing your Tin-foil Hat !

13. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    +1:scowl:

14. ashtray9

ashtray9

Aug 1, 2002
    Tempe Arizona
    Amazing how people respond very negatively and condescending without trying the test. I'm not saying it will work, and I'm not even going to try, but to immediately attack the OP is subscribe to an elitist/ignorant mentality, IMO. Whatever.

15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    this is neither music nor bass related. it's "informational fields" related. unfortunately, lacking a forum for such timely topicality, off topic will have to do.

16. Did you read the test?????

17. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I was being serious. I used JIF. My soundman actually resolved this issue for us. When we go on break, he plays music from his ipod - no CDs whatsoever.

Out of curiosity, where in the heck did this topic come from?

18. I tried it, but I think a placebo got in the way.
    Maybe I'll try it again with my spectral analyzer.

19. Bah! You and your science!!!! Pffft!

20. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It came from a fevered imagination combined with a clinical degree of narcissism, to the extent needed to actually believe that one's own ears are capable of perceiving magic, and that anyone who doesn't believe in the magic has defective ears and a closed mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.