1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does reading TB make you a better bass player?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by megadan, May 7, 2010.

Does reading TB make you a better bassist?

Poll closed May 10, 2010.
  1. Yesy

24 vote(s)
    38.1%
  2. No

24 vote(s)
    38.1%
  3. Maybe (Carrots)

15 vote(s)
    23.8%
  1. Are you a better bassist because you participate in TB? Or would you be better off if you'd spent that time practicing?

My personal answer is no, I think I've reached the physical limit of skill I can (personally) have on the instrument. Most of what I've learned from TB is about gear and technical understanding, which has helped me get a better sound from what I have learned practicing on my own.

2. TB FTW

There comes a point where you need to set the guitar aside and reflect/re-evaluate what it is you're doing.

This site has been an invaluable resource for me. And I hope some of my experience and comments have helped others as well.

3. It has made me more aware of my spelling. Less time here and more time practicing would be benificial.

4. No, practicing makes me better. I'm not practicing right now because I'm here.

5. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Since my TB time doesn't interfere with my playing time, and I've defintiely learned stuff on TB that has improved my playing, I voted "yesy".

There's a LOT more to becoming a good player than just physical skills.

6. Lurker79

Lurker79

Jul 3, 2008
    Hayward, CA
    God no, TB makes me worse, I'm here, aren't I? The only thing it may have helped me do is waste a ton of money on an instrument nobody listens to.

7. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    I think I have better gear because of TB. There's a lot of good information here.

8. Reading Off Topic makes me a better human being.

9. not a better player but a more informed bass player

10. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    [​IMG]

11. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    No.

I feel TB makes me a more informed bassist, especially as it relates to equipment and the like, but not a better bassist.

12. Yes, I've made big improvements and I wish I had TB when I was a kid.

13. Livewire

Livewire Yahtzeeee

Nov 13, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    I feel like most of the time TB increases my GAS.

14. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Qu├ębec
    No.

15. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Like others, I dont play any better, but I do have a better understanding of a lot of aspects related to being a bassist and band manager. TB doesnt interfere with my practice time, as I only login while at work, where I couldnt be practicing anyway.

16. ^ This. Another "yes" vote from me

17. Same here. TB gets me through the work day. Then I go home practice and think about new gear.

18. Playing wise, I'd say no. Information wise, I'd say yes.

19. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Good Lord I hope so.

20. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    From what I learn in the technique & general instruction forums, yes.

From what I learn on the hot chicks at shows....not so much.