Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

does rosin go bad?

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by dcardon, Mar 13, 2002.

1. dcardon

dcardon

Jan 31, 2002
    New York, NY
    I have an old cake of Pops rosin that I use during the winter (I use Carlsson in the summer when the humidity rises) that seems to get more and more powdery and less and less sticky. I've had it for a few years... what the shelf life is of various rosins?

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Only guessing here, but the rosin might be crystalizing a bit. Put it in the nuke-u-lar oven for a bit. In a shaped container, of course.

3. No. 156 on my teacher's list of rules is Always Keep the Rosin In a Covered Container. So I do, and I find it lasting forever. (Nyman's)

4. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    According to the folks that sell rosin it lasts about 2 years. Now, naving said that from experience I have had rosin get so hard that it would not go on the bow after a few years. In fact I just tossed two chunks of real hard rosin last month that were at least 10 years old. Good rosin costs about $10 a chunk if it lasts two years that's less than $0.50 a month. If you question your rosin go get some more it's cheap

Joe

5. Here's your chance to find out. "Vintage" rosin. Maybe it improves with age.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=896578763&rd=1

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Funny you should mention this, a couple of weeks ago on the Fox network there was a special: "When Good Rosin Turns Bad". Of course, being a jazzer, I didn't watch it.

7. It was a pretty good show, had you watched it you would have seen "When God Attacks" which was on afterward. Now that was entertaining.

8. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    It goes bad all the time. If you are really concerned, get some new stuff. order it from Lemur or something, some small violin shops have rosin that is older than all of us put together.

I think you can order pops from the source.

Does anyone know how?

9. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Ol' Pops is still around? :Þ

10. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    no, somebody else is making it