1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does seeing/hearing great bass players make you wanna "quit"?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Admiral Akbar, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Yes, I'll never be on that level - I wish I took up some other hobby!

20 vote(s)
    7.2%
  2. No, I'm inspired to work at my bass playing even more!

258 vote(s)
    92.8%
  1. Admiral Akbar

Admiral Akbar

Mar 12, 2013
    New York
    Just as the title says...

It seems there are an overwhelming number of posters here on TB who upon watching a video of a great bass player performing proclaim they "wanna quit", or "wish I did some other hobby".. I've seen this recently as people have been discussing players such as Stanley Clarke, Andrew Gouche, John Patitucci, Jaco, et al.....

The strange thing, is when I see a great player, I get inspired to play and work even harder than before! Call me Quixotic, but I love being challenged and inspired by the many great players around us. I truly believe we ALL have a voice that needs to be heard, and we should be the best we can be.

Am I crazy for not feeling depressed after seeing/hearing any of these cats?

kesslari, DrMole, tri2bob and 3 others like this.
  2. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    Nope.
    Nope. I’m not.

Admiral Akbar likes this.
  3. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    No, it makes me what to get better

pjuanfish, Afc70, wildman2 and 6 others like this.
  4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Yeah...no. You are who you are. Same as for any sport or other creative exercise. If someone else's expertise makes you feel bad, seems to me you're in it for the wrong reason.

I say just keep doing what you're doing and enjoy life.

If you really don't enjoy something any longer, try something else. That's the way life goes.
    Maybe you'll be great at another endeavor.:thumbsup:

5. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    Makes me want to get better. The exclamation points in the poll (that has no carrot option) seemed a bit nerve wracking though

6. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    I think it's just a funny thing to say, but I don't think anyone who says that really means it. I know I'll never be anywhere close to the level of some of my idols, but it's fun working at being the best I can be. And that's all those guys ever did, too.

7. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
  8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I started hanging around NYC as a young teen, from the concert halls to the clubs downtown I saw bassist I'll never touch in this lifetime, never stopped me.;):D

9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Music is particularly annoying in this regard because any time you think you're good, there's a 10 year old somewhere who can dance circles around you.
    Life improves vastly the day you realize it isn't a race.
    I do things for my own enjoyment and/or because I think they are worth doing.
    Even in times of competition, it isn't about beating your opponent but rather improving yourself enough that you become the best.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  10. Makes me want to practice more.

wildman2 and Admiral Akbar like this.
  11. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree, I think most people are saying it tongue in cheek.

Sometimes it inspires me to go practice more. Sometimes, though, to be honest, I just enjoy it. To me, music is a good thing, and it's always good to have more of it in the world, whatever skill level we make it at. There will always be people who can play circles around me but I enjoy what I'm doing. It's not a competition.

jmon, pcake, danesdad and 2 others like this.
  12. I aint a quitter and neither are the rest of you TB'ers.

upload_2019-7-12_7-8-53.

1bassleft, grinx and lizardking837 like this.
  13. zubrycky

zubrycky

Aug 22, 2011
    Why should I quit? I'm in this world to be myself and no one will be able to do that better than me.

14. I learned a long time ago that I am just going to enjoy playing and admire and enjoy listening to the greats. Life is good.

hrodbert696 and Admiral Akbar like this.
  15. brocket

brocket

Sep 12, 2017
    Coastal NC
    I used to feel inadequate after seeing a good bass player, but I don't anymore. I know my role- I'm a competent pocket player that can hold a song together if it's starting to come apart at the seams. I throw in enough passing notes/rhythmic quirks to keep things interesting, but I am going to let the melody instruments take the lead. Bass solo? That's a pretty hard no. I could take time to practice and improve, but I have a wife and kids I'm awfully fond of, so they get priority. My playing still gets toes tapping and band members smiling, so I'm at least as good as I need to be. Roy Mitchell-Cardenas can do his thing, I'll do my less impressive thing, and at the end of the day we both get the job done.

SouthpawBass, GlennRH, jmon and 5 others like this.
  16. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

no poll choice for me: i have to vote "black." :laugh:

"hero worship" is overrated
    and in my way of thinking it's a form of 'quitting'.

i was never a quitter just because someone else was better at something which i also pursued. but: i also can't say that circumstance (someone better) specifically inspired me to be 'better at it' either. i've lacked confidence when i wasn't prepared for the task at hand...that's about it.

when i see/hear a great musician/bassist i get the same goosebumps everyone else gets. i'm in awe like the rest. i am entertained (happy?) and i feel good. :D got some good stuff/tunes/chops? let me see it...let me hear it! yay for talent! ....and good on you if you've got some! :thumbsup:

FWIW: there are a lot of talented musicians right here on TB. i've seen/heard some great chops, some great tunes, bands, renditions, recordings, efforts......

Plectrum72 and danesdad like this.
  17. I almost quit when I see/hear a bass player of lesser capabilities' than me. All types of negative thoughts run through my brain. he must be a nicer guy than me, he is on stage-I am not, his timing is even worse than mine, why can't I be in a band, *** has my life amounted too.

Over the years I have learned not to compare myself with others at many different things. Someone is always better/worse off than I, makes more/less money than I do, has a better/worse sound than I do etc.

JRA likes this.
  18. I’ve been fortunate enough to have shared the stage with a couple of my bass heroes. I always enjoy the challenge. I think it’s more of a figure of speech to say “I wanna quit”

Sometimes it’s actually very inspiring. Opening for Ryan Martinies prog
    Trio Soften the Glare was very inspiring for me. He was super nice and down to earth. We checked it each other’s basses. Learned a lot about bass setups. Got inspired to play flashy stuff again. I definitely was inspired to have a better attitude as well.
    328B42BC-F9A2-4A16-9400-49A20D444F63.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  19. I spent a good couple hours learning Victor Wooten's "Amazing Grace" and exactly zero seconds learning scales..

I don't envy chops, but I wish I could improv like Scott Devine.

Maybe I should stop just watching him and start actually learning from him again :roflmao: :bookworm:

20. Admiral Akbar

Admiral Akbar

Mar 12, 2013
    New York
    You're right about the figure of speech. For some reason it bothers me to hear/read it - sounds like a "defeatist attitude" where "we're not worthy" of music. Or where we put our greats up on pedestals and worship them. They are just folks like the rest of us.

I ran into Marcus Miller at music store a few months ago. He came in shopping for a keyboard. It was around midday, and nobody else recognized who he was. He seemed to be the most polite, down to earth, confident yet humble soul. What a sweet guy! No air of superiority, or "do you know who I am!" Or any of that garbage. His personality alone was inspiring.

rockinb, Ranger459, Robscott and 5 others like this.