1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does size matter? Help picking an amp...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by twisty4678, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Hey there. I'll admit i'm new to this... I've Looked through the Faq, but i'm still desperately lost. My brother took me to guitar center on monday for my birthday, and we looked at amps. I saw a nice ampeg combo 2x10 for 600 dollars. My brother seems to thinks that a 10 inch speaker isn't big enough to produce nice beefy low end. So we looked at a 1x12, and i don't know if it seemed loud enough overall. I just started playing in a band. At practice i used an ashdown 10inch 30 watt amp. It was loud enough to hear, but was cranked. We plan on just doing bar gigs.
    Nothing serious, just for fun. So, my questions are:
    1. Do you really need more than a 10 inch speaker to get better low end?
    2. Would a 2x10 be good in a bar type situation?
    3. Could you recommend me a good amp (combo or cab/head) that would be loud enough for a bar gig and still sound good?
    My price range is between $300-$600. Thanks guys!

2. with the right eq settings, you can get some decent low end. generally at gigs, unless i'm mistaken, you're not going to want a lot of the lows because it will muddy up the sound a little at a distance.

if you want to be shaking the walls, you might want to go with something else, but otherwise, i don't think you should have any problems with a 2x10 cab with the right wattage (maybe ~200-300w would be more than enough).

this is all coming from me, who doesn't play gigs and has only played in a band setting one time a few years ago with an 8x10 cab and a 600w head.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    1. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. All depends on the design. Most inexpensive 210's do sound a little thin to my ears, but they're still very usable for medium volume gigs.

2. Sure.

3. Ampeg, GK, Hartke, Peavey, Fender, SWR, Nemesis...there are tons of them out there. Of course you get what you pay for, so you might want to look at the used market. I once scored a killer Nemesis 210 combo for $300 that woud do everything you needed. I'd be looking at at least 100 watt amps.

4. Thanks guys. The GK goldline 500 just caught my eye on MF. 4x10 with a head for 800. it's 200 over but with MF financing i can pay if off over the course of a year...

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Goldline head is terrific. Goldline cabs...not so terrific. You can find quality used 410's all day for $300 and less.

6. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Used peavey stuff has always seemed like the best band for the buck. But if Jimmy says the goldline head is good, I'd believe him!

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 for used gear. When money is tight, (and when isn't it), used gear affords you alot better gear for the money. Look through the amp forums here, and read for a few days, get a feel for what everyone else is using. Or look at an amp online, like the GK you just mentioned, then do a search on here for that particular amp. You'll learn alot, like for one, the Goldline series doesn't exactly get alot of love around here. Good luck.(ok, Jimmy likes it, but you get the idea)

8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    You can find deals right now used. Search you rlocal Craigslist. If you find something that fits your budget come back and ask opinions here. Good luck!

9. The thing is, I need to split money between car payments and an amp. I can't just splash $600 down on an amp right now. So if i bought new from musicians friend, I have the option of getting the amp in time for our next practice AND the option of paying it off over the course of a year with no interest.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well, let's put "terrific" in perspective here. It's no match for an SVT. But it's the same amp as the 400RB except it's made in China.

11. Peppacone

Peppacone

Jul 24, 2008
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    For $800 you could get a great used rig that would blow it away. Again, the weak spot is the cab. Interesting head, though...must be a new one. But it's way overkill for your needs, so if I were you I'd look for a nice 200-300w head, and use the money you save to get a better cab.

13. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Judging by your needs and experience level, I wouldn't go spending a whole lotta money just yet. The Acoustic B200 combo is plenty loud and sounds pretty good and the price is harmless.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend...200-200W-1x15-w-Tweeter-Bass-Combo?sku=482902

It's a great jamming/small-to-medium gig combo. Once you really get serious you'll likely want a stage rig and a rehearsal amp anyway. This one could then become your rehearsal amp.
    Try one at GC. If you buy it, ask for the Replacement Warranty. Well worth a few extra bucks.

14. squarewave

squarewave Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    The Acoustic B200H head and single 15 cab is only $400 new from MF, and you can add a 410 cab later if you want to. I'd say you can't do any better than that on a new budget rig.

15. whitespike

whitespike

Nov 28, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I used a 210 Ampeg cab with an Eden head for years in bars. We generally played to about 200-500 people and it was always enough.

You can get a used Ampeg 115 or 210 for about $200-$250.

16. This is intriguing me, although i've never heard of the Acoustic brand before. What do you guys think of there sound and durability?

17. Actually, they don't sound too bad. Guitar center carries them, so you can test em out there if you have one close by.

They remind me of Crate when they first came out. Affordable solution and should last pretty well.

18. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    +100. A mediocre cab will stifle the best head.

19. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I prefer the combo version of the Acoustic B200 because the internal speaker is 4 ohms, meaning you get the full 200w without adding a second cab.
    It's more powerful than the competition's offerings within the same price range (349.00). More powerful than Ampeg, Peavey, Crate, even Carvin.