does size matter?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mental Octopus, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    when it comes to bass bodies...

for example, if i put a stingray pickup into a sterling body, would it sound like a stingray? the stingray has a large body compared to the smaller sterling, so how would that affect the tone?
  2. The short answer is yes, size matters. You have to remember that good instruments are more than a random mix of components. Good instruments are engineered to yield a certain specific sound and the components are selected with that result in mind.
  3. resonant frequencies, tone wood, etc etc, it all comes together to make a bass sound like itself
  4. steve21

steve21 Banned

^that being said... stingray electronics in a sterling package will sound pretty close to a regular stingray
  5. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    I thought this was going other places.....

All said there is not THAT much difference between the two. If you went Steinberger on it it would be a different story.
  6. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    well im not a pro bassist or luthier but i think that a bass sound is determined:
    -First by its electronics + the strings.
    -Then the amount of mass in the neck.
    -Thickness of the fingerboard and wood density(plus material of frets if any).
    -Then the amount of mass in the body (in example a warwick thumb has a small body but it wights a lot while a jazz made of swamp ash while bigger it is lighter).

Scale leght has some influence on it but the right strings can fix it.