Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does size really matter!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Son of Bovril, Mar 10, 2005.

1. I've used 15" speakers plenty of times with different amps cabs and guitars etc, the question is: does an 18" really make that much of a difference over a 15"

there is a definate difference btw a 10" and a 12" and also btw a 12" and a 15" - is this also the case with the 15" and the 18"? :confused:

2. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Generally, yes there is a difference. However, it all depends on the cab builder. Some 18" and larger speakers are more responsive than some 12" speakers. I've owned one 18" in my life and didn't really like the sound and/or responsiveness. Very slow speaker than needs a lot of power. It also depends on how you want to use it. If you are using it as a subwoofer where it is tuned very low (crossover around 80hz or below) it might be OK. If you are using it much higher than that, it probably won't be responsive enough.

My $.02

3. I prefer 15's to anything else, but the few experiences I've had with 18's haven't been pleasing. They just don't work for me.

Granted, these are older 18's, not any of the newer ones (post 1995 or so)

4. It depends.

An 18" with a low inductance edge wound coil and light cone, has a faster acceleration than an 18" with multi-layer round-wound coil (higher inductance) and a heavy cone. For "punch" the edge-wound wins. For power handling capability and amount of air moved, the round-wound probably wins. This is generic, and case-specific details apply.

Eminence offers the above two types of coils in their Magnum 18" driver line. The 18HO is edge wound, and the 18LF is round wound. The HO is more efficient, but requires a bigger cabinet. Both move the same amount of air and have nearlyt he same F3. The difference is power consumption, cabinet volume, and punch.

For pro sound, the intent is moving as much air as possible. This is the domain of the 18" driver, or bass horn. There is no "tone" below 100 Hz, so this isn't a factor.

5. ok, well I got a chance to play through an 18" and 2x10" combo cab this weekend at a gig - comments: well, the sound was pretty full especially in the low end, but I can definately say it was lacking in the low low mid area an quite honestly didn't have much tone other than the tight scooped mids - Although it was a berhinger amp which I'm not very fond of... I had the eq flat also. I think a 15" would have served better.

6. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I am a big fan of 18's over 15's. I prefer the slowness of the speaker. I have had SWR's and Peavey 15's and 18's. I love the fatness of the 18's. It is a powerfull feel for me. They are heavey and fat and that is the tone I like. From all of the bassists I have spoken with though, it is as much of a 'My Opinion' as what kind of Bass is best! :eek: