Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does Slider have the monopoly on bass harnesses?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Dincrest, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Out of curiosity, is Slider the only company who makes a bass harness? The idea sounds good in theory, but most folks here say that the Slider harness is difficult to put on, has zero padding (can't be good for circulation,) and puts your bass in an uncomfortable position unless it's worn upside down.

I tend to favor heavier basses (i.e. 6-string) and while I'm relatively young (26,) fit (I lift 3x weekly,) and sitting pretty with a 3" wide Kepur strap the last thing I need is compounded back (particularly lower) problems in the future (6 years in saggy dorm bedframes killed my back. Nowadays, I don't even sleep on a bed- just a mattress on the floor; better for my back.)

The idea of a strap that distributes the weight over both shoulders and the back without needing to rout out another hole in one's bass seems sound and would help to alleviate and maybe be a proactive preventative measure for future back problems, but are there any other companies besides Slider who make better harnesses in terms of comofort and ergonomics?

2. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    *bumpity*

I guess it's safe to assume then that Slider does have a monopoly on the dual-shoulder bass harness? That kinda sucks since I would've thought someone else would come out with a better harness, or that Slider would redesign theirs given how much people talk about the flaws in Slider's design.

3. I bought one but did like like the position it held my bass in. But who knows it may work for you.

If you'd like to try it out I'll send it to you if you send me enough $ to cover the shipping costs

4. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    That's quite the generous offer. I'd like to take you up on it, but would it be okay if I waited till summer to do so?

And I have heard from somewhere that putting it on upside down can put one's bass in a more desirable position, so that's something I can test...

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've heard of people using two regular straps (probaby a bit snug on the strap buttons) and tossing one over each shoulder.