Does spanking hurt???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by LimpyBizkit397, Apr 28, 2002.

1. Okay, I was just wondering if you're thumb is supposed to hurt when you slap. Because mine doesn't. Does this mean I'm doing it wrong? Because it was said that they had to fill in Flea's thumb with superglue after he slapped. Is that supposed to happen. I dunno any comments are welcome.
  2. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I'll resist the temptation to drop in a cheap joke.

Very rarely have I ever experienced any pain as a result of thumping. IIRC there have been a few times where after A LOT of playing, the skin gets a little peely and raw. That might be where the Flea / superglue thing came into play. Most of the impact for me is on the side of the 1st thumb joint. It's just never been an issue.

3. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    Personally I think if it hurts you're doing it wrong or too agressively. The reason Flea had to superglu is thumb is because he slaps a lot and fairly agressivley. It doesn't have to hurt, and I think it's more fun when it doesn't.
  4. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Slapping can hurt, sometimes, but it's alright since I like my pleasure spiked with pain(pun intended) :D
  5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you can never go wrong with a light touch- you'll play faster, and cleaner, and with more dynamic control. when it comes to playing technique, finesse wins out over force every time.
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I use the side of my thumb's joint (not the knuckle part). I've never gotten to a point where it's painfull to slap. My wrist/arm gets tired sometimes, as my enduarance needs works, but I've never not been able to slap. I think I use a medium touch, and getting lighter, except for a few chorus' my band does, where it's still pretty agressive...
  7. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Sometimes more thumb gets a little sore from the up stroke of double thumbing, but I've never really had a problem with straight slapping.
  8. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I read an interview once with Allen Woody, who said that he went to see Larry Graham play live and was amazed at how lightly he hit the strings. You don't need to slap that hard to get a good tone.